Center Members and Associate Members
EHSRC Member Details
James A. Merchant, MD, DrPH
Professor of Occupational & Environmental Health
Phone: (319) 384-5452
EHSRC Role(s): Co-Leader, Environmental Lung Disease Research Core
Dr. Merchant is a nationally recognized expert on public health policy. His research interests are focused on the clinical and epidemiological side of rural and environmental health. Among these are rural health outcome, and rural and public health policy, occupational medicine practice,occupational lung disease epidemiology, and childhood asthma epidemiology and prevention, He was also is instrumental in developing the UI's Public Health Initiative (PHI), which includes the formation of a School of Public Health. Dr. Merchant served as the first dean of the University of Iowa College of Public Health from 1999 to 2008.
- Peek-Asa C, Zwerling C, Young T, Stromquist A, Burmeister LF, Merchant J. Population-based study of reporting patterns and characteristics of men who abuse their female partners, Inj Prev, 11(3):180-185, Jun. 2005.
- LeVan TD, Von Essen S, Lambert GP, Martinez FD, Vasquez MM, Merchant JA. Polymorphisms in the CD14 Gene are Associated with Pulmonary Function in Farmers. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 171(7):773-779, 2005.
- Lambert GP, Spurzem JR, Romberger DJ, Wyatt TA, Lyden E, Stromquist AM, Merchant JA, Von Essen S. Tumor necrosis factor-a Hyper-responsiveness to Endotoxin in Whole Blood is Associated with Chronic Bronchitis in Farmers. J Agromedicine, 10(1):39-44, 2005.
- Myers KP, Olsen CW, Setterquist SF, Capuano AQ, Donham KJ, Thacker EL, Merchant JA, Gray GC. Evidence of Swine Influenza Virus Infection Among Swine Workers. Under review, Clin Infect Dis. 42 (1 January):14-20, 2006.
- Sanderson W, Madsen M, Rautiainen R, Kelly K, Zwerling C, Taylor C, Reynolds S, Stromquist A, Burmeister L, Merchant J. Tractor overturn concerns in Iowa: perspectives from the Keokuk County Rural Health Study. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health, 12(1):71-81, 2006.
- Kohatsu ND, Tsai R, Young T, VanGilder R, Burmeister LF, Stromquist AM, Merchant JA. Sleep Duration and Body Mass Index in a Rural Population. Archives of Internal Medicine. 166:1701-1705, 2006.
- Peek-Asa C, Maxwell L, Stromquist A, Whitten P, Limbos MA, Merchant JA. Does Parental Physical Violence reduce Children's Standardized Test Score Performance. American Journal of Epidemiology. 17(11):847-53 17, August 2007.
- Reynolds SJ, Tatevosyan A, Fuortes L, Merchant JA, Stromquist AM, Burmeister LF, Taylor C, Kelly KM. Keokuk County Rural Health Study: Self-reported Use of Agricultural Chemicals and Protective Equipment. JAgromedicine. 12(3): 45-55, 2007.
- Stromquist AM, Merchant JA, Zwerling C, Burmeister LF, Sanderson WT, Kelly KM. Challenges of conducting a large rural prospective population-based cohort study: the Keokuk County Rural Health Study. J Agromedicine.14:142-149, 2009.
- Sorenson G et al. Preventing Chronic Disease At the Workplace: A Workshop Report and Recommendations. AJPH. In Press.
- Cherniak M, Henning R, Merchant JA, Punnett L, Sorensen GR, Wagner G. Statement on national worklife priorities. AJIM. 2010 Oct 14. [Epub ahead of print]