Center Members and Associate Members
EHSRC Member Details
Edith A. Parker, MPH, DrPH
Professor and Head, Department of Community and Behavioral Health
Phone: (319) 384-5383
EHSRC Role(s): Director, Community Outreach and Engagement Core
A constant theme of my research is the design of community health promotion interventions that address major social determinants of health and health disparities, particularly those that use a Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) approach. Since 1998, my research has combined my knowledge and interest in CBPR with an interest in the intersection of environmental health and health behavior and health education. I am particularly interested in how health promotion theories and models, from individual to policy level, can: be applied to assist in the assessment of pathways of environmental exposures; aid in designing interventions to reduce exposures (Parker et al., 2004); and inform dissemination and translation of results of environmental exposure assessment studies for policy change.
- Parker, E.A., Chung, L., Israel, B.A., Reyes, A., Wilkins, D.W Community Organizing Network for Environmental Health- Community Organizing Network for Environmental Health: Using a Community Health Development Approach to Increase Community Capacity Around Reduction of Environmental Triggers, Journal of Primary Prevention, 2010 31:41ľ58 [PMCID: 2891016].
- Hammond, DM, Dvonch, JT, Keeler, GJ, Parker, EA, Kamal, AS, Barres, JA, Yip, FY, Brakefield-Caldwell, W. 2008. Sources of Ambient Fine Particulate Matter at Two Community Sites in Detroit, Michigan. Atmospheric Environment, 42:720-732
- Parker, E.A., Lewis, T.C., Israel, B.A., Robins, T.G., Mentz, G., Lin, X., et al. 2008. Evaluation of Community Action Against Asthma: A community health worker intervention to improve children's asthma-related health by reducing household environmental triggers for asthma. Health Education & Behavior, 35(3) 376-395
- Edgren, K.K., Parker, E.A., Israel, B.A, Lewis T.C., Salinas, M.A, Robins, T.G, Hill, Y.R. 2005. Community involvement in the conduct of a health education intervention and research project: Community Action Against Asthma. Health Promotion Practice 6(3):263-269.
- Lewis, TC Lewis, TC, Robins, TG, Dvonch, JT, Keeler, GJ, Yip, FY, Mentz, GB, Lin, X, Parker EA, Israel, BA, Gonzalez, L., Hill Y. Air pollution associated changes in lung function among asthmatic children in Detroit. Environmental Health Perspectives, 113 (8):1068-1075, 2005 [PMCID: 1280351]
- Lopez, EDS, Parker, EA, Edgren, KK, Brakefield-Caldwell, W. Planning and conducting community forums to disseminate research findings using a CBPR approach: A case study from Community Action Against Asthma. Metropolitan Universities Journal, Vol. 16(1): 59-76, March, 2005
- Parker, E.A., Robins, T.G., Israel, B.A., Brakefield-Caldwell, W., Edgren, K, Wilkins, D. 2005. Developing and implementing guidelines for dissemination: The experience of the Michigan Center for the Environment and Children's Health. In Methods in Community-Based Participatory Research for Health, B.A. Israel, E. Eng, A.J. Schulz, E.A. Parker (eds.), San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Parker, E.A., Baldwin, G.T., Israel, B.A. 2004. Application of health promotion theories and models for environmental health. Health Education & Behavior 31(4):491-509. [PMID 15296631]
- Parker, E.A., Israel, B.A., Brakefield-Caldwell, W., Keeler, G., Lewis, T.C., Ramirez, E., et al. 2003. Community Action Against Asthma: Examining the partnership process of a community-based participatory research project. Journal of General Internal Medicine 18(7):1-10. [PMCID 1494884]
- Keeler, G.J., Dvonch, T., Yip, F.Y., Parker, E.A., Israel, B.A., Marsik, F.J., et al. 2002. Assessment of personal and community-level exposures to particulate matter among children with asthma in Detroit, Michigan, as part of Community Action Against Asthma (CAAA). Environmental Health Perspectives 110(suppl 2):173-181. [PMCID 1241161]
- Parker, E.A., Lichtenstein, R., Schulz, A.J., Steinman, K., Israel, B.A., James, S.A. 2001. Disentangling measures of individual perceptions of community social dynamics: Results of a community survey. Health Education & Behavior 28(4):462-486. [PMID 11465157]
- Israel, B.A., Schulz, A.J., Parker, E.A., Becker, A.B. 2001. Community-based participatory research: Policy recommendations for promoting a partnership approach in health research. Education and Health 14(2):182-197.
- Clark, N.M., Brown, R., Parker, E.A., Robins, T., Remick, D., Philbert, M.Keeler, G., Israel, B.A. 1999. Childhood asthma. Environmental Health Perspectives 107(suppl 3): 421-429. [PMCID 15566232]