Center Members and Associate Members
EHSRC Member Details
Robert B. Wallace, MS, MD
Professor of Epidemiology
Phone: (319) 384-5005
EHSRC Role(s): Member, Environmental Lung Disease Research Core
Dr. Wallace's research has made an impact in several domains, including measles and immunization, heart disease, and cancer. With an inerest in the epidemiology of aging, one of his major efforts has been the Iowa 65+ Rural Health Study. Dr. Wallace has studied cancer epidemiology and control, prevention of disability, survey research and clinical preventive medicine. He currently is leading the Women's Health Initiative in Iowa. He was recently named chair of the Board on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention of the Institute of Medicine.
- Lang I, Wallace RB, Huppert FA, Melzer D. Moderate Alcohol Consumption in Older Adults is Associated with Better Cognition and Well-Being than Abstinence. Age and Ageing 36(3):256-61, 2007.
- Melzer D, Frayling TM, Murray A, Hurst AJ, Harries LW, Song H, Khaw K. Luben R, Surtees PG, Bandinelli SS, Corsi AM, Ferrucci L, Guralnik JM, Wallace RB, Hattersley AT, Pharoah PD. A Common Variant of the p16(INK4a) Genetic Region is Associated with Physical Function in Older People. Mech Ageing Dev 128(5-6):370-7, 2007.
- Plassman BL, Langa KM, Fisher GG, Heeringa SG, Weir DR, Ofstedal MB, Burke JR, Hurd MD, Potter GG, Rodgers WL, Steffens DC, Willis RJ, Wallace RB. Prevalence of Dementia in the United States: the Aging, Demographics, and Memory Study.v Neuroepidemiology 29(1-2):125-32, 2007.
- Lang IA, Llewellyn DJ, Langa KM, Wallace RB, Huppert FA, Melzer D. Neighborhood Deprivation, Individual Socioeconomic Status, and Cognitive Function in Older People: Analyses from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. J Am Geriatr Soc 56(2):191-8, Feb 2008. PMID: 18179489; PMCID: PMC2671806
- Wolinsky FD, Liu L, Miller TR, An H, Geweke JF, Kaskie B, Wright KB, Chrischilles EA, Pavlik CE, Cook EA, Ohsfeldt RL, Richardson KK, Rosenthal GE, Wallace RB. Emergency Department Utilization Patterns Among Older Adults. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 63A(2):204-209, Feb 2008. PMID: 18314459; PMCID: PMC2923576
- Plassman BL, Langa KM, Fisher GG, Heeringa SG, Weir DR, Ofstedal MB, Burke JR, Hurd MD, Potter GG, Rodgers WL, Steffens DC, McArdle JJ, Willis RJ, Wallace RB. Prevalence of Cognitive Impairment without Dementia in the United States. Annals of Internal Medicine 148(6):427-434, March 2008. PMID: 18347351; PMCID: PMC2670458
- Forman-Hoffman VL, Richardson KK, Yankey JW, Hillis SL, Wallace RB, Wolinsky FD. Impact of Functional Limitations and Medical Comorbidity on Subsequent Weight Changes and Increased Depressive Symptoms in Older Adults. Journal of Aging and Health 20(4): 367-384, 2008. PMID: 18390865
- Forman-Hoffman VL, Richardson KK, Yankey JW, Hillis SL, Wallace RB, Wolinsky FD. Retirement and Weight Changes Among Men and Women in the Health and Retirement Study. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 63(3):S146-53, May 2008. PMID: 18559689. PMCID: N/A.
- Lang IA, Llewellyn DJ, Langa KM, Wallace RB, Melzer D. Neighbourhood Deprivation and Incident Mobility Disability in Older Adults. Age Ageing 37(4):403-10, July 2008. PMID: 18487260; PMCID: PMC2574954
- Dyer CB, Franzini L, Watson M, Sanchez L, Prati L, Mitchell S, Wallace R, Pickens S. Future Research: A Prospective Longitudinal Study of Elder Self-Neglect. J Am Geriatr Soc 56(s2):S261-S265, 2008. PMID: 19016969
- Langa KM, Llewellyn DJ, Lang IA, Weir DR, Wallace RB, Kabeto MU, Huppert FA. Cognitive Health Among Older Adults in the United States and in England. BMC Geriatrics 9(1):23, 2009. PMID: 19555494; PMCID: PMC2709651.
- Wolinsky FD, Bentler SE, Liu L, Geweke JF, Cook EA, Obrizan M, Chrischilles EA, Wright KB, Jones MP, Rosenthal GE, Ohsfeldt RL, Wallace RB. Continuity of Care with a Primary Care Physician and Mortality in Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65(4):421-8, 2010. PMID: 19995831; PMCID: PMC2844057.
- Wolinsky FD, Bentler SE, Liu L, Jones MP, Kaskie B, Hockenberry J, Chrischilles EA, Wright KB, Geweke JF, Obrizan M, Ohsfeldt RL, Rosenthal GE, Wallace RB. Prior Hospitalization and the Risk of Heart Attack in Older Adults: A 12-year Prospective Study of Medicare Beneficiaries. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 65(7):769-77, 2010. PMID: 20106961; PMCID: PMC2904597
- Keeler E, Guralnik JM, Tian H, Wallace RB, Reuben DB. The Impact of Functional Status on Life Expectancy in Older Persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65(7):727-33, 2010. PMID: 20363833; PMCID: PMC2884085.
- Patel KV, Semba RD, Ferrucci L, Newman AB, Fried LP, Wallace RB, Bandinelli S, Phillips CS, Yu B, Connelly S, Shlipak MG, Chaves PH, Launer LJ, Ershler WB, Harris TB, Longo DL, Guralnik JM. Red Cell Distribution Width and Mortality in Older Adults: A Meta-analysis. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65A(3):258-265, 2010. PMID: 19880817; PMCID: PMC2822283.