The overall evaluation plan for the Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health (GPCAH) is to:
- collect both process and outcome qualitative and quantitative data from various sources including: records and documentation from center staff and investigators, results from individual research project monitoring and evaluation, survey questionnaires and qualitative in-depth interviews of Center stakeholders and in-depth interviews of Center personnel
- design and maintain Center database
- document the various aspects of our logic model (e.g., inputs, activities, outputs, outcomes, impact)
The Logic Model for the Center (Figure 1) describes the center’s planned action (activities) and its expected results (outcomes/impact). Inputs are factors needed to ensure that the center activities and programs can operate. Activities are the tactical actions that make up the program. Outputs are descriptive indicators produced by our activities. Outcomes are changes in awareness, knowledge, behaviors, or environmental exposures. Impact reflects changes in safety and health status that occur over a longer period.
The evaluation research plan will be guided by the following overarching evaluation questions:
- What is the impact of the Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health in relation to the articulated outputs and outcomes of the Center?
- To what extent were Center activities implemented as planned and what challenges and barriers were faced in implementing project activities?
Formative Evaluation Activities - Formative evaluation activities will occur while the individual research, outreach and communication/dissemination projects are in development, with a focus on improving the potential success of the proposed projects at the development stage.
Process Evaluation Activities - Process evaluation for the Center will be incorporated into the routine program operations, progress, and milestones. It will address questions related to the implementation of activities and ensure understanding how and why various activities/projects achieved their goals.
Outcome Evaluation Activities - Overall success of the GPCAH will be evaluated annually. The outcome evaluation will assess whether the overall center goals and objectives are achieved.