Applicants must apply through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) as well as to the University of Iowa Admissions Office. Please review the detailed instructions and requirements below to ensure that all application materials are submitted properly.
Fall 2014 applications will be accepted beginning September 2013.
The Department of Health Management and Policy invites applications from individuals who hold a bachelor’s or master's degree from an accredited college or university.
Applicants with a bachelor's degree in health, business, economic, social science, or related areas who are interested in research in health services and policy are encouraged to apply to the Ph.D. program. A graduate degree in administration, public health, or health planning is excellent preparation, as is experience in a health care setting.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for admission the following fall. Students are encouraged to apply before January 15th. Applications received after March 31st will be considered on a space available basis. Because financial decisions are made throughout the admissions period, early applicants are more likely to receive full consideration for financial aid.
- Applicants must have earned a Bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited college of university
- The minimum grade point average requirement for admission to the Ph.D. program is 3.25.
- GRE preferred minimums are above the 50th percentile for verbal, quantitative and analytical.
- TOEFL (or IELTS during the 2006-2007 year) scores are required for international students except permanent residents or those who have earned a degree from an accredited institution in the US, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The minimum recommended scores are: paper 600, computer 250, and internet 100. The minimum recommended IELTS score is 7.0.
- Relevant work, research and/or volunteer experience is considered.
- Interview. Upon review by the Admissions Committee qualified applicants are invited to campus for an interview beginning in January. Candidates unable to travel to campus are interviewed by phone. Interviews are required before acceptance into the Ph.D. program
How to Apply
A complete application to the University of Iowa Ph.D. in Health Services and Policy Program is comprised of two parts: 1) an application and supporting documents submitted to SOPHAS and 2) an application and supporting documents submitted to the University of Iowa Office of Graduate Admissions.
1) SOPHAS: http://www.sophas.org/
- Official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate and graduate work with grades and degrees.
- Official GRE scores – use code 0658
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement-- Please identify and rank which focus area(s) you are applying to and why. Visit the HMP website for detailed information on the three Focus Areas: Health Economics, Health Policy, and Health Management and Organizational. http://cph.uiowa.edu/hmp/programs/phd/overview.html
- TOEFL for International Student
2) UI Graduate Admissions: https://apply.admissions.uiowa.edu/admissions/login.page
- Application and fee ($60 for US Citizens and $100 for International applicants)
- Official transcripts (do not send these until final degree conferral is reflected on your transcript
HMP Student Services
University of Iowa
Department of Health Management and Policy
105 River Street, N220 CPHB
Iowa City, IA 52242