The University of Iowa Injury Prevention Research Center (UI IPRC) is one of 11 injury “Centers of Excellence” funded by the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The burden of injury in the U.S. is staggering:
- Injury is the leading cause of death from ages 1 to 44.
- In the U.S. $671 billion is spent annually in medical costs and lost productivity.
Our Vision is to prevent, control, and optimize recovery from injuries and violence, especially in rural communities.
Our Mission is to support a multidisciplinary academic and community effort to prevent and control traumatic injuries, especially among vulnerable and rural populations.
Our Primary Goals are to:
- Broaden the scope of injury prevention and control research through the highest quality interdisciplinary science
- Be the leading resource of injury prevention information within the state and region and as a national and international resource on injury prevention
- Provide outstanding training to students, professionals, practitioners and researchers