Applicants must apply through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS) as well as to the University of Iowa Admissions Office. Please review the detailed instructions and requirements below to ensure that all application materials are submitted properly.
Applications for 2014 will be accepted through SOPHAS beginning September 4th (deadlines below).
- Applicants must have earned a Bachelor's or a professional degree
- The minimum grade point average requirement for admission to the MPH program is 3.0.
- GRE preferred minimums are: verbal 151 and quantitative 151. If you took the exam prior to August 1, 2011, the preferred minimums are: verbal 467 and quantitative 591.
- The following scores may be substituted for the GRE: MCAT, LSAT, PCAT, DAT, GMAT, VCAT.
- TOEFL (or IELTS during the 2006-2007 year) scores are required for international students except permanent residents or those who have earned a degree from an accredited institution in the US, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The minimum recommended scores are: paper 600, computer 250, and internet 100. The minimum recommended IELTS score is 7.0.
How to Apply
A complete application to the University of Iowa MPH Program is comprised of two parts: 1) an application and supporting documents submitted to SOPHAS and 2) an application and supporting documents submitted to the University of Iowa Office of Graduate Admissions.
1) SOPHAS: http://www.sophas.org/
- Official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate and graduate work with grades and degrees.
- Official GRE scores - the University of Iowa SOPHAS GRE code is 0658.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement - please address the following questions (1500 word limit):
- Students must chose and apply to one subtrack or combined degree within the MPH Program. Which are you applying to and why?
- How does the required coursework for the subtrack you are pursuing match up with what you hope to learn and achieve throughout the program?
- In detail, please describe: your exposure to, training in, and/or work experiences within public health?
- How does the MPH degree relate to your career goals?
2) UI Graduate Admissions: https://apply.admissions.uiowa.edu/admissions/login.page
- Application and fee ($60 for US Citizens and $100 for International applicants)
- Official transcripts (do not send these until final degree conferral is reflected on your transcript).
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
|US Citizens||May 1||N/A||April 1|
|International Applicants||April 1||N/A||March 15|
|Combined Degree Applicants (MD/MPH, PharmD/MPH, DVM/MPH, JD/MPH)||May 1||November 1||April 1|
|Practicing Veterinarians||March 1|
|Undergrad to Grad||February 1||N/A||February 1|
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Lexie Just at 1-319-384-1539 or e-mail email@example.com.