The Practicum Experience
The proposal form must be completed and all required signatures must be obtained before registration. The proposal form must be approved by the course director before beginning any site work on your project.
Students are required to attend the MPH Seminar, "Preparing for the Practicum," or to view the following web cast before beginning their Practicum project:
The written report should be 20-30 pages in length, excluding appendices, and printed double-spaced using 12-point type.
The report should include the information below and follow this outline:
- Abstract: Summary of key points of the Practicum. (no more then ½ page in length)
- Introduction: Background of project including the significance of the public health issue being addressed. Include a description of the organization in which the project is being carried out, its purpose or mission statement, and its funding sources. (approx. 2-3 pages)
- Discussion: Description of the student's role in the project, including activities and outcomes. Assess whether the Practicum goals and objectives were successful in addressing the problem. Include barriers that were identified. (approx. 10-15 pages)
- Conclusions and Recommendations: Anticipated or suggested further action on the project resulting from project work and outcomes. (approx. 3-4 pages)
- Personal Assessment: Describe how this Practicum has contributed to student’s understanding of public health practice. Identify if and how each of the Public Health Competencies was applied during the MPH Practicum. (approx. 3-4 pages)
- References and Bibliography: Use a standard documentation style, such as APA or AMA Guidelines.
Note: Appendices may be added to the report but should not count toward the 20-30 page requirement.
Due Date: The written report must be submitted to the MPH Practicum Experience ICON Dropbox at least ten days prior to the oral or poster presentation date.
At the end of the Practicum Experience, students and preceptors are asked to complete evaluations.
Please return these to the Practicum Course Faculty, 5202 Westlawn, Iowa City, IA 52242 or email@example.com.