An important initiative within the outreach program is to put health and safety information directly into the hands of those who need it most. During 2017, we emphasized direct and personal contact with agricultural producers on the topics of hearing loss prevention, roadway safety, and the use of gas monitors in agricultural settings. This included
- Training farm families on which farm tasks require hearing protection and how to properly insert ear plugs.
- Teaching farm youth and youth from rural communities the meaning of warning symbols on farm equipment.
- Introducing new guidelines for lighting and marking farm implements that travel on roadways and giving out marking kits.
- Comparing a variety of hydrogen sulfide monitors on the market today, and asking farmers which characteristics would be most important to them when considering the purchase of gas monitor.
- Advising farmers and ranchers about the health effects from whole body vibration and how to reduce the amount of whole body vibration they experience.
- Assisting producers’ response to high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas during pumping operations in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
We’d love to talk to you! See us in 2018 at:
- Sioux Empire Farm Show, Jan 24-28, Sioux Falls, SD
- Western Farm Show, Feb 23-25, Kansas City, MO
- NECAS Ag Safety Day, June 12, Peosta, IA
- NECAS Ag Safety Day, July 10, Peosta, IA
- Minnesota Farmfest, Aug 7-9, Redwood Falls, MN
- Farm Progress Show, Aug 28-30, Decatur, IL
- Husker Harvest Days, Sept 11-13, Grand Island, NE
- National FFA Convention, Oct 24-27, Indianapolis, IN