An important initiative within the outreach program is to put health and safety information directly into the hands of those who need it most. During 2016, we emphasized direct and personal contact with agricultural producers on the topics of hearing loss prevention, roadway safety, and the use of gas monitors in agricultural settings. This included
- Training farm families on which farm tasks require hearing protection and how to properly insert ear plugs.
- Teaching farm youth and youth from rural communities the meaning of warning symbols on farm equipment.
- Introducing new guidelines for lighting and marking farm implements that travel on roadways and giving out over 300 marking kits.
- Comparing a variety of hydrogen sulfide monitors on the market today, and asking farmers which characteristics would be most important to them when considering the purchase of gas monitor.
- Assisting producers’ response to high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas during pumping operations in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
We’d love to talk to you! See us in 2017 at:
- Iowa Pork Congress, Jan 25-26, Des Moines, IA
- Western Farm Show, Feb 24-26, Kansas City, MO
- Triumph of Agriculture Expo, Mar 8-9, Omaha, NE
- Poweshiek County Ag Safety Day, May 12, Grinnell, IA
- NECAS Ag Safety Day, June 13, Peosta, IA
- NECAS Ag Safety Day, July 11, Peosta, IA
- Minnesota Farmfest, Aug 1-3, Redwood Falls, MN
- Farm Progress Show, Aug 29-31, Decatur, IL
- Big Iron Farm Show, Sept 12-14, West Fargo, ND
- National Association of Extension/4-H Agents, Nov 12-16, Indianapolis, IN