Occupational epidemiologists study populations for work-related patterns of disease and other adverse health outcomes. For example, they might identify and assess occupational risk factors such as pesticides, heavy metals, chemicals, or radioactive materials.
Occupational epidemiologists are often employed by state health departments, federal agencies, industry, consulting companies, academic institutions, and a diverse range of health care organizations
Funding from the Heartland Center – we’ll help pay for your graduate degree.
All students admitted to a Heartland Center training program are automatically considered for funding.
Financial support typically consists of fully paid tuition and a monthly stipend.
Heartland Center funding is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
Training Program Requirements
Students interested in the OE training program and in receiving the funding offered by the Heartland Center must satisfy the following requirements:
- Enrollment in one of the approved graduate degree programs (listed below)
- Approval of the director of the OE training program
- Enrollment in the OE Training Program required courses
Approved degree programs for the OE Training Program
Department of Occupational & Environmental Health
Department of Epidemiology
OE Training Program required courses:
|EPID:4400||Epidemiology I: Principles||3 s.h.|
|EPID:6400||Epidemiology II: Advanced Methods||4 s.h.|
|EPID:5600||Intro to Epi Data Management & Analysis||3 s.h.|
|OEH:6510||Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology||3 s.h.|
|OEH:5620||Occupational Health||3 s.h.|
|OEH:5530||Interpreting Occupational & Environmental Health Research||2 s.h.|
|No Registration||Heartland Center Seminar*|
|CPH:7270||Principles of Scholarly Integrity: Public Health||1 s.h.|
* Heartland Center trainees must attend 4-5 designated seminars each semester on occupational health topics to be held on Tuesdays, 4:00-5:00pm.
The first step is to be admitted to one of the following degree programs:
- PhD in Occupational and Environmental Health – Admissions Requirements and How to Apply
- PhD in Epidemiology – Admissions Requirements and How to Apply
Additionally, you will need the consent of the OE Program Director to enroll in this Heartland Center program.
For more information contact:
David Asa, Graduate Program Coordinator