Graduates of the Occupational Injury Prevention (OIP) program are equipped with both methodological skills and knowledge of occupational safety and health, enabling them to help develop, and implement successful injury prevention programs. They are working as faculty members at colleges and universities or conducting research for a national public health agency.
Funding from the Heartland Center – we’ll help pay for your graduate degree.
All students admitted to a Heartland Center training program are automatically considered for funding.
Financial support typically consists of fully paid tuition and a monthly stipend.
Heartland Center funding is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
Training Program Requirements
Students interested in the OIP training program and in receiving the funding offered by the Heartland Center must satisfy the following requirements:
- Enrollment in one of the approved graduate degree programs (listed below)
- Approval of the director of the OIP training program
- Enrollment in the OIP training program required courses
Approved degree programs for the OIP Training Program:
OIP training program required courses:
|OEH:4510||Injury and Violence Prevention||3 s.h.|
|OEH:6520||Injury Epidemiology||3 s.h.|
|OEH:6530||Epidemiology of Occupational Injuries||3 s.h.|
|OEH:5410||Occupational Safety||3 s.h.|
|OEH:5620||Occupational Health||3 s.h.|
|No Registration||Heartland Center Seminar*|
|CPH:7270||Principles of Scholarly Integrity: Public Health||1 s.h.|
* Heartland Center trainees must attend 4-5 designated seminars each semester on occupational health topics to be held on Tuesdays, 4:00-5:00pm.
Additional Required Courses – There may be additional required courses depending on your PhD degree program.
The first step is to be admitted to one of the following degree programs:
- PhD in Occupational and Environmental Health – Admissions Requirements and How to Apply
- PhD in Epidemiology – Admissions Requirements and How to Apply
- PhD in Community & Behavioral Health – Admissions Requirements and How to Apply
Additionally, you will need the consent of the OIP Program Director to enroll in this Heartland Center program.
For more information contact:
David Asa, Graduate Program Coordinator