Undergraduate Student Handbook

Academic Policies

Table of Contents

Registration Policies

Student Academic Misconduct

Academic Advising

First-year students directly admitted to the College of Public Health major are advised by undergraduate program staff at the College of Public Health. First-year College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) public health interest students are advised at the University’s Academic Advising Center. CLAS public health interest students who apply and are admitted to the College of Public Health are advised at the College of Public Health by undergraduate program staff. All students are required to have a conference with their advisor before registering for classes each semester.

Academic Recognition

Dean’s List

Undergraduate students in the College of Public Health who achieve a g.p.a. of 3.50 or higher on 12 s.h. or more of University of Iowa graded course work during a given semester or summer session and who have no semester hours of I (incomplete) or O (no grade reported) during the same semester are recognized by inclusion on the Dean’s List for that semester.

President’s List

Undergraduate students in the College of Public Health who achieve a g.p.a. of 4.00 on 12 s.h. or more of University of Iowa graded course work and who have no semester hours of I (incomplete) or O (no grade reported) for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) are recognized by inclusion on the President’s List.

Graduation with Distinction

Graduation with distinction recognizes high academic achievement based on grades. The college awards degrees “with highest distinction” to students in the highest two percent of their graduating class, “with high distinction” to students in the next-highest three percent, and “with distinction” to students in the next-highest five percent. Ranking is based on students’ grade-point average for all college-level study taken up to their final registration.

To be eligible to be considered for graduation with distinction, students must complete their final 60 s.h. of study in residence at the college and must have completed at least 45 s.h. in the college before their final registration.

Graduation with Honors

Graduation with honors recognizes high academic achievement based on both grades and exceptional accomplishment.

Honors in the Major

Students majoring in public health have the opportunity to graduate with honors in the major. To graduate with honors in public health, students must successfully complete all college requirements with a g.p.a. of at least 3.33 in all courses for the major, in all college course work, and in all UI course work.

In addition, students must complete an honors thesis in CPH:4990 Mentored Independent Undergraduate Research in Public Health, where they must write a brief research proposal summarizing background and goals of honors research, defend their research proposal to a honors project faculty member and a honors advisor, conduct research, submit their honors thesis, and conclude with an oral and/or poster presentation.

Outstanding undergraduate students in the college have an opportunity to undertake independent study and to work closely with faculty members. Completion of requirements for honors in the major also will satisfy the experiential learning requirement.

For more information about graduating with honors in the major, please visit the Undergraduate Honors in Public Health website here.

Academic Standards

Classification of Students

Students are classified by the number of semester hours of credit they have earned toward the bachelor’s degree:

First year: 0-29 s.h. 
Second year: 30-59 s.h. 
Junior: 60-89 s.h. 
Senior: 90 s.h. or more 

Credit and Grading

Credit by Examination

Students may earn up to 30 s.h. of credit by examination by taking selected tests from the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Advanced Placement (AP) program of the College Board, the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE), or the International Baccalaureate Program (IB). Here is more information about when and how to take the CLEP and AP examinations.

The College of Public Health has information on scores, credit, and course duplicates for all CLEP, AP, and IB tests accepted by the college. Ordinarily, credit earned through examination is applied first to the General Education Program requirements. Credit also may be applied to requirements of a major, minor, or certificate, or as elective credit.

Credit From Other Colleges

Students who have taken courses at another institution that are similar to those approved for the public health major or the General Education Program requirements may request that these courses be evaluated for transfer credit. When students apply for admission to the College of Public Health, they must submit official transcripts from each college attended along with their application for admission. After the credit has been certified by the Office of Admissions as college-level work from an accredited institution and after admission has been granted, the credit is evaluated by the undergraduate program either before or during the student’s first semester of enrollment in the college.

Grading System

The college uses a letter grading system. A denotes superior performance, B denotes above average, C denotes average, D denotes below average, and F denotes failure of the course. Plus and minus designate gradations of performance between letter grades. Letter grades and their numerical equivalents are as follows.

A (superior)4.00
B (above average)3.00
C (average)2.00
D (below average)1.00
F (failing)0

Application for Degree

Students who wish to be considered for graduation must submit an Application for Degree through MyUI the session before they are eligible to graduate or before the deadline date during the session in which they expect to graduate.

Students who do not graduate in the session they submitted their Application for Degree must submit another application through MyUI for the next applicable session. Students do not need to be registered to apply for a degree.

See Degree Application on the Office of the Registrar website.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

College of Public Health students are expected to meet academic standards set by the college and to demonstrate reasonable progress toward a degree. To be considered in good academic standing, students must earn a minimum cumulative public health major g.p.a., a minimum UI cumulative g.p.a., and a minimum cumulative g.p.a. for all college work of at least 2.00, and a required University of Iowa session g.p.a. of 1.50 or higher during any spring, summer, or fall enrollment. If a student does not meet all grade-point average conditions, then the student is placed on academic probation.

Students usually are allowed only one session to return to good academic standing. They are required to meet with an academic advisor and to complete an Academic Improvement Plan. Students on academic probation who withdraw registration after the deadline for dropping courses may be dismissed.

The college reviews academic records for all students at the end of the fall and spring semesters. There is no review at the end of the summer session. Students are placed on probation, dismissed for unsatisfactory progress (with or without previous probationary status), or restored to good standing only at the end of the fall and spring semesters.

Students who do not make satisfactory progress may be dismissed from the college without an intervening probationary period. Students who are dismissed from the college for unsatisfactory academic progress due to circumstances beyond their control, such as a death in their immediate family or extended personal illness, may appeal for a revocation of the dismissal. A student dismissed in January must submit a written appeal by the second day of spring semester classes. A student dismissed in May must submit the written appeal by June 15.

Students dismissed from the college for poor scholarship may appeal to re-enroll after an interval of at least one calendar year following the end of the term in which they were dismissed. A written appeal for reinstatement must be submitted to the Undergraduate Program Office. Appeals must be submitted before June 15 for reinstatement in a fall semester or before December 1 for reinstatement in a spring semester.


Students dismissed for unsatisfactory scholarship for the first time are not permitted to register again for one year. Students dismissed for the second time may or may not be granted a second reinstatement. Requests for reinstatement must be made in writing and should be addressed to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Public Health. Arrangements for a reinstatement interview must be made with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The interview must take place between March 1 and July 1 for reinstatement for fall semester, or between October 1 and December 1 for reinstatement to spring semester. Late requests are deferred to the following semester.

Students who are permitted to register following dismissal are registered on academic probation and ordinarily are allowed two semesters to achieve good standing. Most reinstatements include a limit on the number of semester hours the student may take upon reinstatement. Very poor academic work in the first semester of a reinstatement, however, may result in dismissal at the close of that semester.

Registration Policies

How and When to Register

All students are required to have a conference with their advisor before registering for classes each semester and before making changes to their registration. Students are responsible for registering on time and for the correct courses. You may not attend classes without being properly registered for them, you cannot receive credit for courses in which you are not registered, and students may not register or add individual courses retroactively.

Information to familiarize you with your registration process, important terminology and significant deadline dates, and how it all affects you is provided by the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to add or drop a course should pay particular attention to deadlines associated with making registration changes.

Maximum Schedule

Course schedules of more than 19 s.h. for a semester, 12 s.h. for a summer session, or 3 s.h. for a winter session require approval of the advising staff in Undergraduate Program Office.

Requesting Excess Hours

Students enrolled in the College of Public Health who are in good academic standing may request permission from Kim Klinedinst in the Undergraduate Program Office, to register for more hours than the maximum allowed. Professional staff in Undergraduate Program Office may approve excess semester hours based on the following UI and total cumulative grade point average guidelines, however approval for excess hours is not guaranteed:

Permission for 19 hours (fall or spring) requires:

  • 2.0 minimum GPA (academic good standing)
  • Evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Permission for 20 hours (fall or spring) requires:

  • 2.5 minimum GPA
  • Evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Permission for 21 hours (fall or spring) requires:

  • 3.0 minimum GPA
  • Evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Students may petition for permission to take 22 semester hours or more but such permission is granted rarely and only in very special circumstances.

Students on academic probation will not be given permission for excess hours. Permission for excess hours is a privilege. If you perform poorly or drop any of your courses, then permission for excess hours may not be granted in a future semester. Read the guidelines below carefully.

During Early Registration:

You may register for a maximum of 18 semester hours for a spring or fall semester. You may meet with Kim Klinedinst in the Undergraduate Program Office to request an exception to the 18 semester hour maximum.

After Early Registration ends:

You may register for up to 18 semester hours for a spring or fall semester. You may meet with Kim Klinedinst in the Undergraduate Program Office to ask to exceed the 18 semester hour maximum.

Beginning the 6th day of the semester:

If you want to register for more than 18 semester hours, you must bring an add form with advisor and instructor signatures to Kim Klinedinst in the Undergraduate Program Office to request to exceed the 18 semester hour maximum.

Cross-enrolling and Taking Cross-referenced Courses

Sometimes College of Public Health students take courses that belong to colleges other than CPH, or they take “cross-referenced” courses (courses that are listed under more than one department). Because registration policies and other academic practices vary among the different colleges at the UI, students who cross-enroll or take cross-referenced courses need to be aware of which college—the one they are enrolled in, or the one that is listed as on MyUI as “Admin” of the course—governs that course’s policies and procedures. Read the University’s complete cross-enrollment policy for further information.


A prerequisite is generally a course that students must complete before enrolling in a more advanced course. Sometimes a student is given a choice of prerequisites to complete. In other cases, a student has the choice of achieving a minimum grade or certain placement test result in lieu of a prerequisite course. Some courses require more than one prerequisite. If a course has a prerequisite, it will be listed on MyUI; students will find the prerequisites within the course information page, visible when they click on the course link. More information about prerequisites can be found at the Office of the Registrar.

Adding Courses

You may add courses after the semester has begun, but only until the deadline for adding courses. Please see the Registrar’s Academic Calendar for the final day for undergraduates to add courses each semester; this deadline is usually the first Monday of the second week of the semester. Summer and winter sessions have other deadlines. Please note that there is a fee for adding courses after the first week of a semester.

If a course has not yet begun, you may simply add the course on MyUI.

For the first 5 days of classes for a fall or spring semester, students are able to add or change sections or semester hours for courses on MyUI.

To add a course after the 5th day of the semester, or to add on or after the start date for a summer or winter session course, email a Change of Registration, and have both your academic advisor and the instructor of the course sign it. See the Academic Advising Center website for more information about obtaining the instructor signature. Then submit the signed form to the Registrar’s Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall before the add deadline.

“Off-cycle” courses that start or end at times other than the beginning and end of the semester have add deadlines different from those of semester-long courses. Deadlines for individual courses, including off-cycle courses, may be found at the Registrar’s Course Deadlines look-up.

Adding courses after the deadline

The Undergraduate Program Office may grant permission to add a course after the deadline. Students may not register or add individual courses retroactively.

To add a course after the published deadline:

  1. Print a Change of Registration Form.
  2. Have both your academic advisor and the instructor of the course sign it. See the Academic Advising Center website for more information about obtaining the instructor signature.
  3. Contact Kim Klinedinst at the Undergraduate Program Office to request the Dean’s signature.
  4. Return the completed form to the Registrar’s Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall.

Note: These procedures apply only to undergraduate students who are taking courses offered by the College of Public Health (listed as “Admin: College of Public Health” on the detailed MyUI course description). For students taking courses offered by other colleges, different rules may apply, and those students should consult the college in question. Whatever college administers the particular course is the college whose rules govern the procedures for dropping and adding after the published deadline. Read the complete cross-enrollment policy.

Dropping Courses

Please note that different deadlines exist for students wishing to drop individual courses or withdraw from an entire semester. Visit the Registrar’s Course Deadlines calendar for the exact dates of these deadlines each semester. Students must obtain approval from the college that offers the course in order to request permission to drop a course after these deadlines. A fee for dropping courses after the first week of a semester is charged by the Registrar (see Academic Calendar).

If a course has not yet begun, students may drop the course by using MyUI. Log in, click on Registration and choose the session. Each of your courses will have a change/drop link to the far right. Drop will remove the course.

For the first 5 days of classes of a fall or spring semester, most students will be able to drop courses on MyUI. See the Office of the Registrar’s page for exceptions to this rule.

Beginning the 6th day of the fall/spring semester or the 1st day of summer/winter session when MyUI has closed for changes in registration students may still drop courses by obtaining required permissions. See the Office of the Registrar for more information about dropping courses through MyUI.

Taking Courses for Variable Credit

Most courses offer the same number of credit hours to all students. However, some courses offer “variable” or “arranged” credit, allowing students to register for a range of credit hours. If you register for one of these courses and need to increase or decrease the number of hours, you may do so only during the period in which changes to registration are allowed. To do this, complete the change of hours section on the add form, available from the MyUI log-in page.

Auditing Courses

College of Public Health students may choose to take courses without earning credit for them (audit) with the permission of the course instructor and their advisor. Students are still charged for auditing courses. The mark of AUS (audit successful) is assigned to students registered for zero credit if attendance and performance in the course are satisfactory; if unsatisfactory, the mark of AUU (audit unsuccessful) is assigned. Courses completed with a mark of AUS do not meet any requirements nor do they carry any credit toward graduation. Auditing may not be used as a second-grade-only option.

To register for a course on an audit basis, students must obtain the instructor’s authorizing signature and their advisor’s signature and must register for 0 s.h. To change registration from audit to credit or from credit to audit, a Change of Registration Form is used. These changes must be made during the period when adding courses is allowed.

Pass/Nonpass Courses

Undergraduate students in the College of Public Health may not use courses taken P/N (pass/nonpass) to satisfy General Education Program requirements, high school course requirements, prerequisite or major public health course requirements, or any course in the College of Public Health. Major public health requirements include any course that fulfills the major course requirements (including public health electives), regardless of the college offering the course. The College accepts a maximum of 15 s.h. of P (pass) credit from the University of Iowa toward the bachelor’s degree and a maximum of 30 s.h. of P (pass) and S (satisfactory) grades from all sources (UI as well as transfer work) toward the bachelor’s degree.

Pass/nonpass registration must be completed during the first 10 days of a fall or spring semester or the first one-and-one-half weeks of a summer session, and it requires the approval of the advisor and the instructor. For courses taken pass/nonpass, an earned grade of C-minus or higher is recorded as a P; an earned grade of D-plus or lower is recorded as an N. Pass/nonpass credit is not included in grade-point average calculations.

Satisfactory/Fail Courses

The College of Public Health Direct Admit Seminar, Second Year Undergraduate Public Health Seminar, and Third Year Undergraduate Public Health Seminar are offered only satisfactory/fail (S/F). An F (fail) grade earned for these seminars does not satisfy any portion of the professional development seminar requirement

Certain other College of Public Health courses are offered satisfactory/fail (S/F). All students registered for these courses receive one of these marks.

Semester hours of S graded course work are not used in computing grade-point averages, but hours of F graded course work are used. Semester hours of S graded course work are counted as semester hours earned toward graduation; semester hours of F graded course work do not count as semester hours earned toward graduation.

College of Public Health undergraduates may not use S graded course work to fulfill General Education Program requirements.

The college accepts a maximum of 15 s.h. of S credit from the University of Iowa toward the bachelor’s degree and a maximum of 30 s.h. of S and P grades from all sources (UI as well as transfer work) toward the bachelor’s degree.

Incomplete Grades

Instructors may report a mark of I (incomplete) only if the unfinished part of a student’s work in a course other than research, thesis, or independent study is small; if the work is unfinished for reasons acceptable to the instructor; and if a student’s standing in the course is satisfactory.

Students should not re-enroll in a course for which they have an incomplete. Incomplete grades must be removed by completing the unfinished part of the work. Faculty and students are encouraged to state clearly in a written agreement how the incomplete is to be completed and the due date for the remaining work. Both the faculty member and the student should keep a record of the written agreement.

Failure to remove the incomplete before the end of the next full semester, excluding summer and winter sessions, results in replacement of the I with a grade of F, regardless of whether a student is enrolled during that semester. A grade change may be submitted to convert a grade of F to another letter grade, with the instructor’s approval.

Students cannot graduate with an I mark on their record. They must either complete the course for a passing grade, or allow the Incomplete to lapse to a grade of F.

Second-Grade-Only Option for CLAS Public Health Interest Students

Public health interest students must follow the rules established by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS). Contact the CLAS Academic Programs & Student Development office or consult the CLAS Academic Policies Handbook for more information.

Second-Grade-Only Option

Students admitted to the College of Public Health should contact Kim Klinedinst to request a second-grade-only option. College of Public Health students may repeat up to three courses taken at the University of Iowa regardless of the grade originally earned in the course and may only be used once per class. A course may not be repeated under the second-grade-only option once it has been used as a prerequisite for a more advanced course that the student has completed successfully. The second-grade-only option cannot be used to remove a grade of incomplete, which must be removed in the usual manner.

The second-grade-only option may be used only for University of Iowa courses. A course taken at another college or university may not be repeated at the University of Iowa under the second-grade-only option, nor may a UI course be repeated at another institution under the second-grade-only option.

Any second-grade-only options used before entry to the College of Public Health counts toward the maximum of three second-grade-only options allowed.

If the course was taken for a grade the first time, it must be taken for a grade the second time.

If the course was taken satisfactory/fail the first time, a student may choose to take the course for a grade or as satisfactory/fail the second time.

Any University of Iowa course taken in any mode of delivery—during a regular semester, a summer session, an intensive session, or through distance learning and the Division of Continuing Education—may be repeated in the same mode of delivery or in any other mode of delivery.

Students who have been awarded a degree from the University of Iowa may not use the second-grade-only option on a course taken before the degree was awarded.

Students must register as usual for the course that is to be repeated. After the session in which the course is being repeated has begun, students must request the second-grade-only option by completing the Second-Grade-Only Option Request Form. Students must follow this procedure or both grades will be counted in their University of Iowa grade-point average.

The permanent record is adjusted by placing a pound symbol (#) next to the first grade to indicate that it is no longer being included in the grade-point-average calculation, and only the semester hours from the second registration have been counted as semester hours earned. Once placed on the record, the option may not be retracted. Graduate or professional colleges may recalculate grade-point averages using all grades visible on the permanent record.

Student Academic Misconduct

The College of Public Health endorses the policies and rights of students as printed in Section 1 of the General Conduct Regulations in the University of Iowa Code of Student Life. Examples of academic dishonesty can be found below.

All students are invited to discuss academic misconduct and its consequences as well as how to appeal a decision made by the College. Please contact Kim Klinedinst for further information about the College of Public Health’s academic misconduct policy.

Students are encouraged to review the UI Code of Student Life for university-wide expectations for student behavior. All nonacademic violations are referred directly to the Division of Student Life on the UI campus.

Procedures for Reporting Academic Misconduct to the College

Each UI undergraduate college tracks offenses on a shared data base, with academic misconduct reports thus shared across UI undergraduate colleges and with sterner consequences for repeat offenders.

Academic misconduct should be reported online by either faculty or students. To report academic misconduct, contact Kim Klinedinst (Kimberly-klinedinst@uiowa.edu) in the Student Services office for the reporting link or for more information about the process.  

Instructors who intend to report a student for misconduct should inform the student about their concerns and inform the student that they will be reported.  The student should be provided the opportunity to respond to the allegation. If the student does not respond or chooses not to meet with the instructor, the instructor should proceed with reporting the incident.  In addition, the Undergraduate Program Office will notify the student of each report and the right of the student to request a hearing for review of the case. 

Grading Sanctions Assigned by the Instructor

In the case of academic misconduct, an instructor may fail the assignment or may assign a lower grade than otherwise would have been given for the assignment. The instructor may also decide to request a revision of the work in question and may accept the revision for a grade, as warranted. In consultation with the College, instructors may also fail a student for the course for academic misconduct.

Sanctions Applied by the College

Following a report of academic misconduct, a committee comprised of the Undergraduate Program Director, the Assistant Dean for Student Services, and one CPH faculty member will meet to review the evidence and determine if the student is responsible for the alleged misconduct. The committee will not change any grade sanctions applied by the instructor, regardless of the determination of guilt or innocence. The committee may assign the student additional consequences, listed below, based on the severity of the offense and the number of offenses by the student previously reported to the College. After the committee has reviewed the report and the evidence submitted and finds that misconduct has occurred, the following sanctions may be applied by the College:

For first offense –

The student is placed on disciplinary probation and will remain on disciplinary probation until the first degree is granted from the University of Iowa.  This means (1) the offense is noted in the student’s confidential advising record during the period the student is on probation, (2) the student is required to meet with advising staff in the Undergraduate Program Office, and (3) the student is warned about the consequences of a repeat offense. A student’s internal College of Public Health records are not shared with external entities after graduation.

The committee may assign additional sanctions, including requiring the student to write an original essay about the importance of academic integrity or enrolling in a non-credit academic integrity seminar during the semester following the offense.  The seminar takes around 20 hours to complete and the student will be charged a course fee of between $100 and $200.  CPH students who are Pell-eligible or who experience financial hardship may request financial assistance.

Students who fail to complete any of the assigned sanctions will be restricted from course registration.

For additional offenses –

In addition to any penalties listed above, the College of Public Health may impose the following or other penalties as the offense may warrant: cancellation of the student’s registration, suspension from the College, or recommendation of expulsion from the University by the President. If the student is suspended, the suspension is recorded on the student’s record during the time of the suspension. When the period of suspension ends, the report is removed from the record but is kept internally in case another offense occurs. If the student is expelled, the offense is recorded on the student’s permanent record/transcript as follows: Not permitted to Register: Academic Misconduct. If expelled, the student may not return to the University of Iowa.

Note: Academic misconduct can involve many gray areas and borderline situations. In these cases, the College might combine or change the sanctions listed above so that they better fit the situation. The College also takes into account the instructor’s recommendations about reducing or strengthening a collegiate sanction since the instructor is often aware of circumstances or details not always apparent in the report.

Student Appeals

All students have the right to file an appeal about a College of Public Health decision related to academic misconduct. Student rights and responsibilities are also discussed at this related page.

  • If a student believes that the finding of academic misconduct is in error or the grade assigned by the instructor unjust, the student should first arrange a meeting with the instructor (and/or the instructor’s supervisor in the case of a teaching assistant) and then, if needed, with the head of the department or program to discuss the matter. If a misunderstanding has occurred, it can be clarified by speaking with the instructor first, and thus all students are encouraged to meet with their instructor before pursuing any other appeal process.

The student may appeal the decision of the collegiate committee in writing via email to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Public Health with a detailed rationale for the appeal within 10 business days of the student’s receipt of the official notification stating the sanction given by the College concerning the academic misconduct. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will review the case, meeting with the student if so requested.

  • If the student is not satisfied with the results of this investigation, the student may then request a review by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education. The request must be written and should be addressed to Associate Provost Tanya Uden-Holman (tanya-uden-holman@uiowa.edu).

Additional information on resources to help students file a complaint, such as the University Ombudsperson or the special steps to take when confronting sexual misconduct, are available at the indicated links.

Examples of Academic Misconduct

Examples of academic misconduct include, but are not limited to, the following:

Cheating on Quizzes and Exams

  • Using notes, books, calculators, phones, photos, computers, web sites, tweets, social media, or other aids during a quiz or an exam when not allowed by the instructor
  • Talking during a quiz or exam when told by the instructor talking is not permitted
  • Looking at another student’s exam or quiz during the testing period
  • Continuing to work on a quiz or exam after the instructor has notified students that time for the test has ended
  • Stealing, reproducing, circulating, or otherwise gaining access to a quiz, exam, or homework materials prior to the time authorized by an instructor
  • Ignoring the guidelines specified by the instructor for an assignment or for a “take home” test and instead using materials or study aids that the instructor has forbidden


  • Using the words, sentences, arguments, rhetorical structures, and ideas of another without proper citation and acknowledgment
  • Copying data, facts, graphs, computer programs, spreadsheets, images, photos, film/video, or other materials and using them without proper citation or acknowledgment
  • Copying homework, quiz, or exam answers from an answer key, solution manual, textbook, web site, or other items from another student, thus presenting another’s work as your own
  • Failing to use quotation marks properly or when needed
  • Failing to give a source for quoted materials
  • Failing to paraphrase language completely
  • Failing to give a source for paraphrases
  • Failing to cite sources correctly and completely

Unauthorized Collaboration

  • Receiving help with homework, reports, labs, paper, data collection, or other activities when not allowed by the instructor
  • Accepting credit for a group project without doing your share of the work
  • Helping others with their homework or other assignments when not allowed by the instructor
  • Allowing others to view your answers or copy part of your homework, lab, quiz answers, exam answers, or other related work when not permitted to do so by the instructor.
  • A group doing another student’s work on a group project, lab, presentation, report, or other activity while presenting the work as if done by the entire group equally

Willful Misrepresentation

  • Fabricating quotations
  • Fabricating sources
  • Fabricating, dishonestly adjusting, omitting, or otherwise misrepresenting research results and records, including information, data, statistics, research facts, and its analysis
  • Engaging in selective reporting or omission of conflicting data for deceptive purposes
  • Altering graded work, then resubmitting it for new grade
  • Providing false information about reasons for class absences or late work when requesting a make-up quiz or exam or an extension for homework
  • Submitting the same paper in more than one class without the approval of the instructors involved
  • Submitting a paper from a previous semester for a current class without the approval from the instructor
  • Failing to provide required or requested information regarding academic performance or enrollments at previous institutions
  • Intentionally obstructing or interfering with other students’ academic work, or otherwise undertaking activity with the purpose of creating or obtaining an unfair academic advantage over other students’ academic work.
  • Altering documents affecting academic records, such as falsifying information on an official academic document, form, grade report, letter of permission, clinical record, student ID cards, or any other official document.
  • Providing false information to others about academic performance, leadership activities, or membership in student organizations.
  • Falsification of information records
  • Recording hours not actually worked
  • Submitting an altered or fabricated preceptor evaluation
  • Altering a score, grade, or schedule change on an academic record.
  • Forging the signature of an instructor, advisor, dean, or another student without proper authorization
  • Creating false university, college, or other official correspondences (such as medical documentation)

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty of Others

  • Writing a paper for another student
  • Allowing another student to use your past homework assignments, papers, labs, or similar items
  • Sharing homework with another student when told collaboration is not allowed
  • Allowing or helping another student to look at your exam or quiz during a test
  • Sharing with other students your notes, books, calculators, phones, photos, computers, web sites, tweets, social media, or other aids during a quiz or an exam when not allowed by the instructor
  • Completing another student’s exam or quiz by filling in the student’s scantron card or other answer sheet or by attending the exam in place of the other student
  • Providing any materials, information, or assistance to another person with the knowledge or reasonable expectation that such would be used for dishonest purposes.