To promote health and to prevent injury and illness through commitment to education and training, excellence in research, innovation in policy development, and devotion to public health practice.
To serve Iowa and the Midwest as one of the nation’s premier state-assisted schools of public health and lead the global community in rural public health education and training, research, and practice.
Our core values reflect those of The University of Iowa: Excellence, Learning, Community, Diversity, Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility. We seek to implement these values in ways that enhance the health and well-being of all Iowans, especially the most vulnerable segments of Iowa’s population.
- Excellence. The CPH is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in public health scholarship, teaching, and community service.
- Learning. The CPH is dedicated to the discovery and dissemination of knowledge that will improve the health status of all people, especially those with rural roots and experiences.
- Community. The CPH is committed to collaboration and actively seeks to engage community partners in its education, research, and public service.
- Diversity. Diversity is key to a vibrant intellectual environment. Respect for, and inclusion of, all persons and valuing their unique experiences and contributions is essential to achieving our mission.
- Integrity. The CPH adheres to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, respect, and professional and scholarly ethics.
- Respect. The CPH is committed to maintaining an environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and that fosters tolerance, sensitivity, understanding, and mutual respect.
- Responsibility. The CPH is dedicated to the stewardship of all resources entrusted to it and fosters public policies that promote sustainability in all human activities, including environmental protection, agricultural production, economic development, and community health.
- Social Justice. All activities within the CPH are motivated by a commitment to social equity and fairness, a spirit of compassion for all persons, and a desire to apply the tools of scientific knowledge to pressing societal health concerns. The College strives to improve the conditions in which everyone lives and thereby contribute to the formation of a just society.