New faculty members often face challenges in their first months – and these can occur in the areas of teaching, research, and the balancing of home and work life. The University of Iowa has many resources and networks available to help new faculty meet these challenges and thrive in their new position.
The University of Iowa’s Build a Career | Build a Life is a great resource designed to assist you to successfully build a career and build a life. At the University of Iowa, we recognize the important relationship between productive careers and quality personal lives.
Collegiate Faculty Policies
The College of Public Health Faculty Handbook contains important information regarding faculty procedures, including General Responsibilities/Polices/Resources; Tenure Track information; Teaching Responsibilities; and other helpful documents.
The Manual of Procedure of the College of Public Health is designed to foster an active, informed faculty and a suitably counseled administration and to promote communication between the faculty and the administration as they jointly seek to achieve the aims of the College. Execution of the procedures in this manual should yield a record of policies, goals, and experiences of the College to guide it in its continuous striving for excellence. Structure and operating procedures are described; responsibilities are defined and distributed; and mechanisms to implement change are specified.
Collegiate Teaching Assistant Policy
The College of Public Health Hiring Procedures for CPH Undergraduate Courses contains information regarding the hiring procedures for Graduate Teaching Assistants teaching undergraduate CPH courses.
UI Faculty Information
- UI Faculty Handbook: Links to teaching, research, and service resources; campus offices, services, and facilities; and cultural and recreational opportunities within the Iowa City community.
- Faculty Awards: Information about the UI Faculty Development Awards Program, other awards available to UI faculty, and the Ida Beam Visiting Professorship Program
- Faculty Development: Learn about faculty development opportunities, including those geared specifically toward new and early career faculty
- Faculty Organizations: Links to the web pages of the Faculty Senate and Emeritus Faculty Council.
- Central Midwest HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium): A collaboration among higher education and community partners to assist dual-career couples, recruit diverse applicant pools, build relationships across the state, realize membership discounts, and strengthen our professional development opportunities.
- Work/Life and Dual Career Resources
- Faculty Catalog: See the last pages of the General Catalog for a list of UI faculty at the time of publication.
The Future of Work
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in disruptive change in higher education and for the University of Iowa specifically. This change provides the opportunity to reimagine and re-envision how we work, where we work, how we engage, how we innovate and how we serve. Learn more about The Future of Work at the College of Public Health.
Other Faculty Resources
- Institutional Data: Links to University of Iowa data, including: Affordability and financial aid; admissions/enrollment; student success; surveys; faculty and Staff; financial information; research data; facilities and learning spaces; peer universities and comparison data; and Board of Regents reports.
- Do you have a new employee in your office? Be sure to fill out the combined BBP, TB and CBC work form.