Undergrad to Grad Overview
What Is Public Health?
Public Health is the science and art of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention. Public health helps improve the health and well-being of people in local communities and around the globe and works to prevent health problems before they occur. Learn more…
Public health is a diverse and dynamic field that offers that offers an abundance of job opportunities to suit a variety of interests and skills. Whether you are more interested in crunching numbers, conducting research, or working with people, there is a place for you in the field of public health. Public health is ideal for those that gain satisfaction knowing that they are working to improve the lives of others.
Some potential careers are:
- Epidemiologist (“disease detective”) for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or a state health department.
- Health educator in a community, clinic, or non-profit setting.
- Data analyst for a clinical trial that is testing a new medicine.
- Environmental health and safety manager at a large company.
Research additional career choices here: http://www.aspph.org/discover/profiles-public-health/
Advantages of the Five-Year Program
Combined undergraduate to graduate programs provide an opportunity for students interested in health sciences to earn both their undergraduate and graduate degrees in 5 years.
Benefits of pursuing the combined degrees:
- Save time. Earn an advanced degree on an accelerated track.
- Save money. Reduce costs associated with earning a master’s degree by cutting a year of tuition.
- Prepare for the future. Gain the skills and knowledge needed to launch a public health career or pursue further academic study.
- Establish a competitive edge. A master’s degree can increase earning potential and qualifications for more senior positions.