Provide exemplary education, training, and mentoring
Conduct outstanding disciplinary methodological research
Conduct meaningful interdisciplinary applied research
Serve and promote our college, university, state
US National Research Council
- The department is ranked in the top 10 nationally in the survey, quantitative, and research activity rankings.
- Ranked No. 3 nationally in average number of citations per publication.
US News & World Report
- Ranked No. 17 among all biostat departments, and No. 8 among those at public institutions.
- The UI College of Public Health ranked No. 17 among all Colleges of Public Health, No. 9 among those at public institutions.
Iowa Summer Institute in Biostatistics
Personnel and Resources
15 full-time faculty 13 adjunct and secondary faculty 45 graduate students
Nearly all students supported by half-time research assistantships
Dedicated computer lab and access to high-performance computing cluster
Extensive collaboration with University of Iowa health sciences
Faculty Areas of Expertise
- Bayesian modeling and inference
- Causal inference
- Clinical trials
- Cluster analysis
- High-dimensional data analysis
- Infectious disease modeling
- Integrative analysis
- Longitudinal data analysis
- Machine learning
- Missing data techniques
- Model selection
- Network data analysis
- Personalized medicine
- Quantile regression
- Spatial and spatio-temporal modeling
- Statistical computing
- Statistical genetics and genomics
- Survival data analysis
- Syndromic surveillance
- Time series data analysis
- Cancer / Oncology
- Cardiovascular Health
- Disease Mapping
- Environmental Science
- Health Services
- Genetics and Genomics
- Infectious Diseases
- Injury Prevention
- Speech and Language
Student Research Positions
Our students have successfully gained summer internships at numerous pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and a variety of other industries, clinical research facilities, and government agencies.
Department of Biostatistics faculty provide leadership for several research centers.
Clinical Trials and Statistical Data Management Center
Center for Public Health Statistics
Biostatistics Consulting Center
Biostatistics Core of the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
UI Department of Biostatistics alumni have received positions in academia, pharmaceutical industries, biomedical research institutes, government agencies, and major corporations outside of the health sciences.