College of Public Health students who have questions or concerns surrounding diversity, equity, and inclusion issues have a single point of contact.
During the College Town Hall on March 2, 2019, and subsequent Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee meeting, collegiate leaders heard from students that a DEI point of contact for students was needed in the college.
Liz Lara joined the College of Public Health in September 2021 as the college’s Manager of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. She will serve as the DEI liaison for students.
Because of differences in power, students may have a hard time bringing up problems with the people who grade their work or administer their programs of study. Liz is in a unique position to serve as a trustworthy sounding board and accessible guide to the resources and processes in the college and across the campus. She can be reached email@example.com or (319) 384-2704.
In this role, Liz will:
- respond to diversity, equity, and inclusion-related issues among the student body as they arise, serving as the point person for student concerns and then providing resources and referrals to students specific to their needs and issues;
- serve as the subject-matter expert in bias awareness for CPH students;
- identify opportunities to implement student diversity-related activities;
- continue to find ways to cultivate our college climate of inclusion and respect for all students;
- serve on the CPH DEI Committee;
- help ensure the academic success of our student population; and
- collaborate with collegiate leaders on our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As a reminder, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs Jeff Dawson and Human Resources Director Kay Shie serve in similar capacities for faculty and staff, respectively.
The college continues to be dedicated to hearing and learning from all students, faculty, and staff experiences.