The Institute for Public Health Practice connects the University of Iowa College of Public Health and multidisciplinary practitioners to share knowledge, expertise, training, tools, and resources to advance the public health workforce.
We envision a public health workforce that is equipped to respond to evolving public health challenges and promote conditions that prioritize health for all people. A public health workforce that is equipped to respond to evolving public health challenges and promote conditions that prioritize health for all people.
Health Equity Statement
The Institute for Public Health Practice recognizes social, political, environmental, and other human-made barriers to health. We have a responsibility to thousands of public health students and practitioners who interact with the Institute – and to ourselves – to combat inequity in our work, courses, and programs in order to ensure a public health workforce that strives for health equity. We commit ourselves to centering equity in all Institute initiatives. In working toward a world where all people can achieve their optimal health, regardless of race, income, residential address, gender identity, sexual orientation, education level, or ability, we strive to recognize how we perpetuate, and thus work to disrupt, inequitable systems and cycles.
In order to accomplish this, we commit to:
- empowering staff and stakeholders to identify instances of inequity to transform our language, practices, and policies;
- addressing causes of inequity, not symptoms;
- identifying partners and stakeholders that will add different and new perspectives to our work;
- explicitly stating how privilege and power are at play in decision-making;
- checking in monthly with our supervisor to ensure we are each exceeding the requirements of the University’s Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion universal competency for all employees.