Frequently Asked Questions
Students interested in enrolling in the Department of Community and Behavioral Health can find answers to most questions here. For more information, contact us.
- Does the Department of Community and Behavioral Health (CBH) accept applications for all semesters- fall, spring or summer?
- The department prefers all students enter the program in the fall semester, however some M.P.H., and Ph.D. applicants can choose to begin in the summer. We do not offer spring admission.
- What are the deadlines for applications?
- For Ph.D. applicants, the deadline for summer and fall semester entry is also Jan. 15. M.P.H. applicants should refer to the M.P.H. admission web page for information about deadlines.
- Is a personal interview required?
- M.P.H. applicants are not asked to participate in an interview as part of the application process. The department recommends that Ph.D. applicants establish contact with a CBH professor with similar research interests before or during the application process.
- Are certain undergraduate degrees the best preparation for an M.P.H. in CBH?
- Entering students have a variety of academic backgrounds. No specific undergraduate degrees are required.
- When does the CBH department make acceptance decisions?
- The department accepts and decides on applications on a rolling basis, so application files will usually be considered soon after they are received. The review process usually takes 4-5 weeks.
- May I complete the M.P.H., or Ph.D. program from a distance?
- CBH does not offer a distance education program. There are a few courses that are web-based, but most courses require on-campus attendance.
- How are teaching assistants (TAs) and research assistants (RAs) chosen?
- New students should express interest in RA or TA assignments to the Graduate Program Coordinator. The availability of departmental positions is determined by the grant funds received each year. Positions are also posted on the Graduate College website.
- What is the pay for TAs and RAs?
- The Grad RA and TA rate for a Fiscal Year Appointment, 2021-2022, will be as follows:
RA’s will receive a Fiscal Year Salary 25% (10 hours/week) $12,402
- TA’s will receive an Academic Year Salary 25% (10 hours/week for a TA) $10,151
Qualify for residential tuition rates
100% tuition scholarship based on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences tuition rate (fall and spring semester only)
50% mandatory fees
- Do TAs and RAs have to pay tax on the income they receive?
- The issue of taxes depends on a number of factors. The Payroll Department at the University will be able to advise you for your specific situation. Their phone number is 319-335-2381.
- How long does it typically take to complete each program?
- Most M.P.H. students are able to complete their programs of study in two years. The average length of time to date, for Ph.D. program completion in CBH is four years.