Frequently Asked Questions

Students interested in enrolling in the Department of Community and Behavioral Health can find answers to most questions here. For more information, contact us.

Does the Department of Community and Behavioral Health (CBH) accept applications for all semesters- fall, spring or summer?
The department accepts M.P.H., and Ph.D. applications for fall and summer semesters. The department prefers that all students enter the program in the fall semester.
What are the deadlines for applications?
For Ph.D. applicants, the deadline for summer and fall semester entry is also Jan. 15. M.P.H. applicants should refer to the M.P.H. admission web page for information about deadlines.
Is a personal interview required?
M.P.H. applicants are not asked to participate in an interview as part of the application process. The department recommends that Ph.D. applicants establish contact with a CBH professor with similar research interests before or during the application process.
What undergraduate courses are recommended as preparation for the M.P.H. program of study within the Department of Community and Behavioral Health?
College level biology, math, social sciences and statistics courses are all important preparation for the CBH M.P.H. program.
Are certain undergraduate degrees the best preparation for an M.P.H. in CBH?
Entering students have a variety of academic backgrounds, as seen in our student profile. No specific undergraduate degrees are required.
When does the CBH department make acceptance decisions?
The department accepts and decides on applications on a rolling basis, so application files will usually be considered soon after they are received. The review process usually takes 3-4 weeks.
May I complete the M.P.H., or Ph.D. program from a distance?
CBH does not operate a distance education program. There are a few courses that are web-based, but most courses require on-campus attendance.
How are teaching assistants (TAs) and research assistants (RAs) chosen?
While the CBH department helps students find assistantships (TA, Graduate Assistantship – GA and RA) unfortunately, they are not able to provide an assistantship for every student who would like one. On the Graduate College webpage, choose “Funding and Assistantships” to see assistantships that are listed for all departments on campus. This site is updated regularly throughout the spring and summer with newly available assistantships for the coming fall. International students must take an English proficiency test (called the SPEAK test) before finalizing an appointments as a TA. Some CBH students are able to secure Research Assistant positions through one of our three research centers. New students should express interest in RA or TA assignments to the Graduate Program Coordinator. The availability of departmental positions is determined by the grant funds received each year.
What is the pay for TAs and RAs?
The Grad RA and TA rate for a Fiscal Year Appointment, 2015-2016, will be as follows:
Academic Year Salary 50% (20 hours/week) $18,261
Health Insurance
Fringe Benefits
Do TAs and RAs have to pay tax on the income they receive?
The issue of taxes depends on a number of factors. The Payroll Department at the University will be able to advise you for your specific situation. Their phone number is 319-335-2381.
How long does it typically take to complete each program?
Most M.P.H. students are able to complete their programs of study in two years. The average length of time to date, for Ph.D. program completion in CBH is four years.
How are your graduates employed?
Graduates of the CBH program are qualified for a wide variety of careers. See the Alumni Success Stories web page for information about some of our CBH graduates.

Questions or comments? Contact Torrie Malichky. This page was last reviewed on November 30, 2016.