Please review these detailed instructions and requirements for applying to the University of Iowa Master of Public Health Program. If you have any questions after viewing this page, please contact CPH Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Undergrad to Grad (U2G) applicants have slightly different criteria. Please go to this page for instructions on how to apply.
- You must have earned a bachelor’s or professional degree
- 3.0 minimum grade-point average
- International applicants: English proficiency requirements can be found here.
|Student Type||Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
|MPH Applicants||April 15||N/A||April 15|
|Combined Degree Applicants (MD/MPH, PharmD/MPH, DVM/MPH, JD/MPH)||April 15||November 1||April 15|
|Practicing Veterinarians||April 15||November 1||March 1|
|Undergrad to Grad||February 1||N/A||February 1|
Scholarship preference for applicants who apply by March 1!
All MPH applicants will apply through either SOPHAS or SOPHAS Express. Please reference the list below if you are unsure which platform to use.
SOPHAS: Biostatistics, Community and Behavioral Health, Epidemiology, Health Policy, Occupational and Environmental Health, MPH for Practicing Veterinarians, or MPH for Professionals (general MPH, for applicants who already have a professional degree from a US institution).
SOPHAS Express: PharmD/MPH, MD/MPH, or JD/MPH degree applicants. Students applying to one of these areas must be admitted to Pharmacy, Medicine, or Law first.
- Review SOPHAS application guidance and complete the application.
- Provide all transcripts. Reviewing transcript guidance will save you time in the long run!
- Domestic transcripts:
- Send official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate, graduate, and professional work to SOPHAS.
- If your bachelor’s degree will be conferred after applying, please wait until your degree is conferred and then send your official transcript to our Graduate Admissions Office. Please note: University of Iowa transcripts must be sent to SOPHAS, but do not need to be sent to the UI Graduate Admissions Office.
- International transcripts:
- International transcripts should be evaluated by World Education Service (WES) and submitted to SOPHAS. They do not need to be sent separately to the University of Iowa unless requested.
- International applicants must have the equivalent of a U.S baccalaureate degree to be considered for admission.
- Domestic transcripts:
- Standardized test scores (GRE, MCAT, PCAT, etc.) will not be considered for applications for 2021 and beyond.
- Provide Three (3) Letters of Reference. These letters are submitted by your letter writers through SOPHAS. Detailed instructions can be found in the SOPHAS application.
- We recommend letters of reference come from your academic experiences, but we also accept professional references.
- Upload your resume or CV
- Upload a personal statement. In your statement, please address the following questions (1,500-word limit):
- Students must choose and apply to one Program of Study or combined degree within the MPH Program. Which are you applying to and why?
- How does the required coursework for the Program of Study you are pursuing match up with what you hope to learn and achieve throughout the program?
- In detail, please describe: your exposure to, training in, and/or work experiences within public health?
- How does the MPH degree relate to your career goals?
- International applicants must provide scores from TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.
For students who have been admitted to the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Pharmacy or Law. If you have not yet been admitted, but have applied for admission to one of these programs, contact Lexie Just (email@example.com) for guidance.
- Complete the application
- Submit names and email addresses for 3 letter writers
- Upload personal statement
- Upload resume or cv
- Upload unofficial transcripts
After all application materials have been received and verified, all applicants will be prompted to set up a UI account (if you do not already have one) and pay a supplemental University of Iowa processing fee ($60 US citizens, $100 International applicants).