Please review these detailed instructions and requirements for applying to the University of Iowa Master of Public Health Program.
If you are a prospective undergraduate, please refer to the How to Apply page for the Undergraduate to MPH program (Undergraduate to Grad).
You are eligible to apply to the MPH Program if you have met the following requirements:
- You must have earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.
- You must have a minimum grade-point average of 3.0.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international students except for permanent residents or those who have earned a degree from an accredited institution in the US, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The minimum recommended scores are 100 for TOEFL and 7.0 for IELTS. International applicants may reach out to CPH Admissions (email@example.com) to discuss options if they are unable to take the TOEFL exam due to COVID-19 cancellations.
|Student Type||Fall Semester||Spring Semester||Summer Semester|
|MPH Applicants||April 15||N/A||April 15|
|Combined Degree Applicants (MD/MPH, PharmD/MPH, DVM/MPH, JD/MPH)||April 15||November 1||April 15|
|Practicing Veterinarians||April 15||November 1||March 1|
|Undergrad to Grad||February 1||N/A||February 1|
Scholarship preference for applicants who apply by March 1!
All MPH applicants will apply through SOPHAS. The exception is students who are applying to the combined PharmD/MPH, MD/MPH, or JD/MPH degrees. These students must be admitted to Pharmacy, Medicine, or Law first and then may apply through SOPHAS Express.
SOPHAS requirements: All MPH applicants except for students who have already been admitted to the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Law, or Pharmacy) must apply through SOPHAS at sophas.org. You will be required to:
- Complete an application
- Provide transcripts
- Domestic transcripts:
- Send official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate, graduate, and professional work to SOPHAS.
- If your bachelor’s degree will be conferred after applying, please wait until your degree is conferred and then send your official transcript to our Graduate Admissions Office. Please note: University of Iowa transcripts must be sent to SOPHAS, but do not need to be sent to the UI Graduate Admissions Office.
- International transcripts:
- International transcripts should be evaluated by World Education Service (WES) and submitted to SOPHAS. They do not need to be sent separately to the University of Iowa unless requested.
- International applicants must have the equivalent of a U.S baccalaureate degree to be considered for admission.
- Domestic transcripts:
- Standardized test scores (GRE, MCAT, PCAT, etc.) will not be considered for applications for 2021 and beyond.
- Provide Three (3) Letters of Reference. These letters are submitted by your letter writers through SOPHAS. Detailed instructions can be found in the SOPHAS application.
- We recommend letters of reference from your academic experiences, but we also accept professional references.
- Upload your resume or CV
- Upload a personal statement. In your statement, please address the following questions (1,500-word limit):
- Students must choose and apply to one Program of Study or combined degree within the MPH Program. Which are you applying to and why?
- How does the required coursework for the Program of Study you are pursuing match up with what you hope to learn and achieve throughout the program?
- In detail, please describe: your exposure to, training in, and/or work experiences within public health?
- How does the MPH degree relate to your career goals?
- International applicants must provide their TOEFL scores.
SOPHAS Express requirements: For students who have been admitted to the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Pharmacy or Law, you must apply through SOPHAS Express. If you are in one of these professional programs at another institution, you must apply through SOPHAS to the MPH for Professionals Program. Contact Lexie Just (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions. Application requirements for SOPHAS Express:
- Complete the application
- Submit names and email addresses for 3 letter writers
- Upload personal statement
- Upload resume or cv
After submitting application materials through SOPHAS and SOPHAS Express, applicants will be prompted to set up a UI account (if you do not already have one) and pay a supplemental University of Iowa processing fee.
- Once you have submitted all your materials to SOPHAS and your transcripts have been verified, you will receive an email from the University of Iowa which will provide you with detailed instructions on setting up a University of Iowa account and paying the supplemental University of Iowa fee. Your application will be reviewed once this step is complete.