The University of Iowa College of Public Health, in collaboration with the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, offers a primarily distance-based Master of Public Health Program. The program is designed for practicing veterinarians looking for a career change or to enhance their ability to become board certified in Veterinary Preventive Medicine. The MPH will provide veterinarians with new opportunities in local, state, and federal health, agricultural and environmental agencies, colleges and universities, the private sector food industry, the military, and international public health organizations.
Examples of careers include:
- State and Assistant State Public Health Veterinarian
- Public Health Advisor
- USPHS Commissioned Corps
- ACVPM-NAVLE Item Writing Committee at National Board of Medical Examiners
- Veterinary Medical Officer (Epidemiology) USDA/APHIS
- Degree in Veterinary Medicine from an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited college of veterinary medicine or comparable training
- International applicants who hold DVM (or equivalent) from NON-US institutions will be required to take the PAVE certification unless they also hold a license to practice veterinary medicine in the United States
- Application details can be found here.
- The cost of the program is approximately $40,000. This includes tuition and housing for the time spent on campus.
- A typical student begins the program in the summer session and completes the MPH requirements in two years. The following is a sample plan of study. As this program is flexible, if you need to modify the schedule, you will work with your advisor to create a plan of completion that works best for you.
- Please contact Lexie Just (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Director of Admissions and Recruitment, with questions and/or to set up a Zoom meeting to discuss the program.
|Course No.||Course name||Hours|
|Summer Year 1||9 s.h.|
|EPID:5570||Zoonotic Diseases (1-week in-person)||3 s.h.|
|OEH:6110||Rural Health and Agricultural Medicine (online summer 21)||3 s.h.|
|CPH:5100||Intro to Public Health (online)||3 s.h.|
|Fall Year 1||6 s.h.|
|CBH:4105||Intro to Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (online)||3 s.h.|
|BIOS:4120||Intro to Biostatistics (online)||3 s.h.|
|Spring Year 1||6 s.h.|
|EPID:4400||Epidemiology I: Principles (online)||3 s.h.|
|OEH:4240||Global Environmental Health (online)||3 s.h.|
|Summer Year 2||9 s.h.|
|EPID:5300||Food Safety (1-week in person)||3 s.h.|
|EPID:5470||Applied Veterinary Epidemiology/Biostatistics (online summer 21)||3 s.h.|
|HMP:4000||Intro to the US Healthcare System (online)||3 s.h.|
|Fall Year 2||6 s.h.|
|EPID:5200||Public Health Informatics (online)||3 s.h.|
|CPH:6700||Public Health Emergency Preparedness (online)||3 s.h.|
|Spring Year 2||6 s.h.|
|EPID:5550||Diagnostic Microbiology for Epidemiology (online)||3 s.h.|
|CPH:7500||MPH Applied Practice Experience (on-site or distanced depending on the practice site||2 s.h.|
|CPH:7200||MPH Capstone Experience (online)||1 s.h.|
|MPH degree total||42 s.h.|
|MPH Core||18 s.h.|
|MPH Required||21 s.h.|
|Applied Practice Experience||2 s.h.|
|MPH Capstone||1 s.h.|