Global Health Funding and Scholarship

For Students


The CPH Global Public Health Student Travel Grant was established to encourage international research, practicum, internships, and other abroad opportunities. Awards are available of up to $5,000 per student and all students are encouraged to apply. If you’re interested in going abroad, but not sure where or when, we strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with our global health coordinator. There are plenty of international opportunities to choose from!

For Faculty


The CPH Faculty Development Grant for Global Public Health Research was established to encourage international research through collaborations with researchers in other countries. The goal of these awards is to establish new, long term research partnerships in international settings that will foster collaborative research opportunities for faculty and students at the College of Public Health. Proposed projects must seek to establish NEW collaborations, OR the project must develop a new activity to add to an existing project with the prospect of involving new faculty or student researchers. The grant will be for a one-year period and only CPH primary faculty are eligible to apply.

Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training (MHIRT)


In a number of health areas that disproportionately affect minority and underserved populations, there is a critical need for trained researchers in biomedical, behavioral, clinical and social sciences. The situation is especially grave for minorities underrepresented in biomedical, behavioral, clinical and social sciences. The MHIRT Program recognizes that through the development of training programs directed at these underrepresented groups, the knowledge and skills needed to conduct research and to prepare trainees for successful careers as biomedical and behavioral scientists to eliminate disparities in health and disease experienced by members of minority communities is greatly enhanced.

External Funding Sources


Both students and faculty are encouraged to identify funding courses outside of the College of Public Health to help supplement their academic efforts abroad.  The following sources are a great place to start, but shouldn’t be the end of your search. Happy travels!

University of Iowa Office of Study Abroad

Fulbright Scholarship

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

Stanley Awards for International Research


Questions or comments? Contact Sophie Switzer. This page was last reviewed on July 31, 2017.