About the Association
The Epidemiology Student Association aims to promote the study and use of epidemiological theory and techniques of practice, as well as increase the awareness of occupational and educational opportunities, foster collaboration and comradery among our students and faculty, and promote professionalism in Epidemiology. Our voting membership consists of all students seeing an MS, PhD, MPH or MSCI in epidemiology at the University of Iowa.
The Epidemiology Student Association, ESA, is intended to be a voice, an advocate, and a resource for students in the Epidemiology Department. We serve as a liaison between the students and the department, facilitating cooperation and understanding as we work together to create an excellent department and exceptional graduates.
2023-2024 ESA Officers
Anna Giudici – MPH Representative
Anna is from Des Moines, IA and is a first-year MPH student studying Epidemiology and working her way towards a certificate in Emerging Infectious Diseases. She received her B.S. in Public Health with sub tracks in Global Health and Quantitative Methods from the University of Arizona in December 2021. During her gap semester, Anna worked on COVID-19 response and data analysis through the Department of Epidemiology at the University of Arizona. Anna is a TA for the Department of Criminology, interns for the State Hygienic Laboratory housed at the University of Iowa, and works as a Research Assistant at Iowa’s Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases. Her primary interests include infectious diseases, sexual health, surveillance, and One Health. Anna also loves to volunteer through the College of Public Health’s Strike Force.
Jacob Thompson – MPH Representative
Jacob is a second year MPH student in Epidemiology from Des Moines, Iowa. He graduated with a BS in Biology from the University of Iowa in 2021. His research interests include infectious diseases and injury epidemiology.
Jamie Sorensen – PhD Representative
Jamie is a 2nd year PhD student in epidemiology, originally from Oskaloosa, Iowa. She obtained her bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa in 2019 in physiology and Spanish, and her Master of Public Health in Epidemiology from the University of Iowa in 2022. Her interest areas include cancer epidemiology, cancer surveillance, rural cancer disparities, and reducing barriers to cancer care.
Zach Hoggarth – PhD Representative
Zachary, originally from Grand Forks, North Dakota, is a second year PhD student In the College of Public Health’s Epidemiology Department. His research interests include infectious disease and antimicrobial resistance. He is excited to serve a role on ESA this coming school year.
2023-2024 ESA Calendar
- 18th (Friday): Social at Big Grove (5:00-late)
- 21st (Monday): First Day of 2023 Fall Semester
- 23rd (Wednesday): College of Public Health Free Food Trucks (12:30-2:00 CPHB Walkway)
- ESA Back to School Social TBD
- 2nd (Saturday): First Home Football Game
- 4th (Monday): Labor Day – No Classes
- 16th (Monday): First ESA Monthly Meeting (12:30-1:20 C217 CPHB)
- 18th (Monday): APHA Conference Advance Registration Ends
- 22nd (Friday): MPH Seminar (12:00-1:00, lunch at 11:30)
- 6th (Saturday): College of Public Health Homecoming Pre-Game Gathering TBD
- 9th (Monday): ESA Monthly Meeting (APHA 101) (12:30-1:20 C217 CPHB)
- ESA Monthly Meeting TBD (in partnership with the Alumni Lunch Series-Laura Vonnahme)
- 20th (Friday): MPH Seminar (12:00-1:00, lunch at 11:30)
- 5th (Sunday): Daylight Savings (Clocks go back 1 hour)
- 6th (Monday): ESA Monthly Meeting (Faculty/Student Lunch – Pizza!) (12:30-1:20 C217 CPHB)
- 7th (Tuesday): Election Day
- 12th – 15th (Sunday-Wednesday): APHA Conference (Atlanta)
- 17th (Friday): MPH Seminar (12:00-1:00, lunch at 11:30)
- 20th – 24th (Monday-Friday): Thanksgiving Break – No Classes
- 4th (Monday): ESA Monthly Meeting (12:30-1:20 C217 CPHB)
- 8th (Friday): MPH Seminar (12:00-1:00, lunch at 11:30), Last Day of Regular Classes
- 11th-15th (Monday-Friday): Finals Week
- 16th (Tuesday): First Day of Spring 2024 Semester
- 10th (Sunday): Daylight Savings (Clocks go forward 1 hour)
- 11th-15th (Monday-Friday): Spring Break – No Classes
- 26th-27th (Tuesday-Wednesday): PHCI Conference (Des Moines)
- Elections for ESA 2024-2025 Board TBD
Resources for Students
Resources for epidemiology students — including grant and scholarship opportunities, resources for funding travel for research or professional development, student guides, volunteer opportunities and career information — can be found on ESA Student Resources page.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Send an anonymous message to the ESA officers. Please include your email address if you would like a reply. You can also email us directly at email@example.com.