Every effort is made to provide financial support to students who demonstrate need and maintain satisfactory academic standards. In addition, some awards are offered in recognition of outstanding scholarship and experience, regardless of need. Financial assistance is available in a variety of forms, including scholarships and awards, student loans and research assistantships.
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantships (GRAs & TAs)
- Represent the major source of financial aid available from the department.
- Awarded annually on the basis of student merit and departmental need.
- Students with a quarter-time GRA or TA are classified as residents for tuition purposes.
- Salary for the 2015-2016 fiscal year for a 25% appointment (10 hrs/week) is $11,155.50 plus a $4,198/semester scholarship (based on full-time enrollment).
- Awarded a 25% fee scholarship for mandatory students fees which are $501.50/semester (spring/fall) for 2015-2016 (based on full-time enrollment).
- Includes health care benefits
- Students may obtain GRA or TA appointments in other departments.
Tuition and Fees
U.S. citizens and permanent residents may apply for aid sponsored by the federal government by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Completing the FAFSA form is often a required first step in applying for state loans and for some private funding sources as well. You may apply on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Submit the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible and have your results sent to the University of Iowa.
Scholarships and Awards
- The Bonnie J. and Douglas S. Wakefield Award
- Established in 2006, the goal of the award is to identify and reward students who exemplify the mission of the PhD program in terms of excellence or promist of excellence in health services and policy research. Evidence of proficiency, such as published, submitted, or significant progress in writing health services and policy research manuscripts is especially considered. Up to two awards of $1000 are awarded annually, to be used by the winners for professional development.
- Funding and Assistantships sponsored by the Graduate College.