The Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management teaches foundational business and leadership skills in healthcare. Certificate students complete five cornerstone, healthcare-specific courses (15 credits) from the Executive Master of Health Administration curriculum: Management, Financial Reporting, Policy, Leadership, and Financial Management.
Courses are offered in five-week blocks from 4:00-8:00 pm on Tuesdays (first three courses) or Wednesdays (final two courses) at UI campuses in Iowa City and Des Moines. All classes are instructed in the classroom, not online. This approach is very effective in facilitating team-based and interactive discussions within experientially diverse cohorts including physicians, nurses, other clinicians, and managers.
Classes begin each August. Up to 10 students are accepted per cohort. Applicants to the graduate certificate program must have an undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 .
*All credits earned in the certificate program can be transferred toward credits required for the Executive MHA program. The certificate covers one-third of the required EMHA credits.
Courses and Instructors
Introduction to Healthcare Management (Tuesdays, 1st Fall Semester)
- Tom Evans, MD, MA, FAAFP, President and CEO, Iowa Healthcare Collaborative
- Chris Evans, MHA, FACHE, Chief Administrative Officer, Iowa Healthcare Collaborative
Corporate Financial Reporting (Tuesdays, 1st Fall Semester)
- Lauren Mason, MHA, Associate Director of Revenue Cycle, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Mary Ann Allan, MS, Senior Director of Budget, University of Iowa Health Care
Health Policy (Tuesdays, 1st Spring Semester)
- Jennifer Harbison, Director of Health Policy, University of Iowa Health Care
- Jennifer Vermeer, MPA, Iowa Plan President, Molina Healthcare
Leadership of Healthcare Organizations (Wednesdays, 2nd Fall Semester)
- Todd Linden, MA, President and CEO, Grinnell Regional Medical Center
- Kevin Kincaid, MHA, CEO, Knoxville Hospital & Clinics
Healthcare Financial Management (Wednesdays, 2nd Fall Semester)
- A.J. Smith, MHA, Business Intelligence Manager, Mary Greeley Medical Center
- Kyle Briese, MS, Director of Finance and Decision Support, The Iowa Clinic
Applicants apply through SOPHAS Express by uploading a statement of purpose, two reference letters, and a resume showing at least four years of relevant experience as a manager or clinician. Official transcripts* should also be mailed to: UI Graduate Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242. *University of Iowa transcripts and other transcripts already on file with the Office of Admissions do not need to be submitted.
For additional information contact:
Gwendolyn Archibald, PhD, MA
Director, Student Services and Academic Program Support
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Health Management and Policy