Financial Aid for OEH Students

Funding Overview

Most MS students and all PhD students receive financial support via traineeships, graduate research assistantships, and teaching assistantships.

MS and PhD students accepted to programs with a focus on occupational health and safety (including Agricultural Safety & Health, Ergonomics, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Epidemiology, and Occupational Injury Prevention) are funded through Heartland Center traineeships as described below.

MS and PhD students with a focus on environmental health or environmental toxicology are generally funded by graduate research assistantships or teaching assistantships, as described below.

To find out more about funding for your graduate degree click here: Information about OEH Degree Programs and Funding

Heartland Center for Occupational Health & Safety Traineeships

Students accepted to the following programs receive Heartland Center traineeships and financial support—fully paid tuition and a monthly stipend:

These traineeships are sponsored by NIOSH, and are available for U.S. citizens only. Learn more about Heartland Center traineeships with this FAQ.

Graduate Research Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships

Our faculty are engaged in research that changes lives for the better. They work to improve and protect the health of workers and communities. Many of their projects have grant funding that allows them to employ students as graduate research assistants (GRA). You could get paid to practice research methods, develop essential professional skills, and study public health.

Graduate research assistantships pay students’ tuition and provide a monthly stipend. A GRA appointment is usually obtained from a student’s advisor—so you’ll want to connect with someone whose research interests you.

Additionally, many of our graduate and undergraduate classes have teaching assistantships (TA) available. Job announcements for TA positions are distributed to the College of Public Health students every semester.

MPH Funding

As with most professional degrees, MPH students should generally plan to pay for their tuition and living expenses with a combination of their own resources and standard college loans. However, there are also scholarships, grants, and graduate and teaching assistantships available. You can learn more about these and other funding opportunities at the MPH program’s Financial Aid page.

Additional Financial Aid Resources