The College of Public Health Graduate Student Association at the University of Iowa was established to expand opportunities in professional development and outreach, discuss student issues, and create a greater sense of community for all students in the College of Public Health.
Aims and Functions
- Develop a sense of community among all graduate students in the College of Public Health
- Coordinate communication among student organizations in the College of Public Health
- Expand opportunities for student professional development
- Facilitate student dialogue with local, state, and national organizations
Membership is open to all students enrolled in a CPH graduate degree program, meetings are held biweekly. More information can be provided by contacting in the Comments section, at the bottom of the page.
2022-23 Board Members
President: John Dickens
John is a second-year student completing his MPH in Health Management and Policy. He is currently a member of the University Lecture Committee and operates his own local music lesson studio, OctavEd. When not studying health policy, John loves cooking, playing sports, and shopping in Kalona, IA. He chose CPH because he believes in the power of community and individual health advocates to make change to our healthcare system!
Vice President: Adriana Sofia Kotchkoski
Adriana (she/her) is a first-year MHA student in the Health Management and Policy department. She received a Bachelor of Social Work and a Bachelor of Science in psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She values promoting multi-sector collaboration and working with social and community service agencies to promote health equity. She chose the CPH as they have a great alum network and many opportunities to connect in-class learning to out-of-class experiences. Outside of school, she enjoys tea, board games, and e-sports.
Treasurer: Logan Harris
I am a third year PhD student in Biostatistics. I am originally from Indiana where I received by BS in Health Data Science. My fiancée (Olivia) is slated to graduate from Iowa’s Nursing Program this semester. We have two beautiful children. Our first born, Athena, is a three year old goldendoodle. Her sister, Aurora, is an approximately 10-month old mystery doodle that we rescued the Sunday before the start of this semester. Outside of class I spend my time biking the amazing gravel outside of Iowa City and hiking with Olivia and our girls.
I chose Iowa CPH after spending the summer here for the Iowa Summer Institute in Biostatistics. After a great summer, I realized how amazing the Department of Biostatics here is, in large part because of the very dedicated faculty.
Communications Director / Webmaster: Grace Olsen
Grace is a first year MHA student in the Department of Health Management and Policy. I am originally from Minnesota, got her Bachelor’s degree in healthcare management. Her free time, she enjoys the gym, hanging out, and shopping. She chose CPH because the current healthcare system and needs need to be more properly addressed, she hopes to make an impact within healthcare no matter how big or small it may be.
Grants Director: Jason Semprini
Jason is an NIH Research Fellow and 4th year PhD Candidate in the Department of Health Management & Policy. He earned his Master’s in Public Policy at the University of Chicago as a Susan G. Komen Cancer Disparities Scholar. His research agenda focuses on evaluating health policies for their effect on health outcomes and equity. During his time at Iowa, he has been an active member of the Health Equity Action Lab, Rural Iowa Cancer Collaboratory, Cancer Prevention & Control Research Network, and the Iowa Cancer Consortium. He previously served as the University of Iowa Graduate & Professional Grants Director and has years of experience writing and reviewing successful research grants. A lifelong Iowan, Jason lives in Iowa City with his wife and two daughters.
Events Coordinator: Lauren Lavin
Lauren is a first year PhD student in Health Services and Policy. Currently, she is serving as Events Director for our Graduate Student Association (CPHGSA). In her free time, she enjoys baking, yoga, and being outside!
No upcoming events at this time.
- President, John Dickens: MPH, HMP
- Vice President, Adriana Kotchkoski: MHA, HMP
- Treasurer, Logan Harris: Biostatistics, PhD, HMP
- Communications Director/Webmaster, Grace Olsen: MHA, HMP
- Grants Director, Jason Semprini: PhD Health Services and Policy, HMP
- Events Coordinator, Lauren Lavin: PhD, Health Services and Policy, HMP
- CPH Pilot Grants and other funding for students (research, travel)
- Grants for all Graduate/Professional Students (research, travel, service awards)
- CPH Global Public Health Grant (travel)
- Graduate College grants (academic, research, travel)
- Graduate College grant writing support
Jobs & Careers
- 09.13.22 CPHGSA (PDF download)
- 09-27-22 CPHGSA (Word doc download)
- 10/25/22. CPHGSA
- 11.15.22 CPHGSA Agenda.pdf
- 01-25-23 CPHGSA Meeting Agenda.docx (sharepoint.com)