Title(s): Emeritus Clinical Professor
Department: Health Management and Policy
Office: N273 CPHB
Phone: (319) 384-3816
Charles W. Fluharty is the founder, President, and CEO of the Rural Policy Research Institute (RUPRI), the only national policy institute in the U.S. solely dedicated to assessing the rural impacts of public policies. Since RUPRI’s founding in 1990, over 300 scholars representing 16 different disciplines in 100 universities, all U.S. states and 30 other nations have participated in RUPRI projects, which address the full range of policy and program dynamics affecting rural people and places. Collaborations with the OECD, the EU, the German Marshall Fund, the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture, the International Comparative Rural Policy Studies Committee, and other international organizations are framing RUPRI’s comparative rural policy foci.
A Clinical Professor in the College of Public Health at the University of Iowa, and a Research Professor in the Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs at the University of Missouri, he was also a German Marshall Fund Transatlantic Fellow from 2007 to 2011, and the Founding Director of the Missouri Public Policy Institute, as well as a principal in the design and development of the eventual Truman School of Public Affairs. The author of numerous policy studies and journal articles, he has presented dozens of Congressional testimonies and briefings. He is also a frequent speaker before national and international audiences, having delivered major public policy speeches in over a dozen nations, and has provided senior policy consultation to most federal departments, state and local government, planning and development organizations, and many foundations.
In the News
- Fluharty discusses barriers for rural students to attend college
- Fluharty comments on the rural higher-ed crisis
- Fluharty comments on retaining young people in rural areas
- Fluharty discusses the future of jobs, rural communities
- Fluharty comments on small towns, rural America
- Fluharty comments on the arts and rural America
- Fluharty honored for distinguished leadership in rural development
- College hosts IDPH Center for Rural Health and Primary Care advisory committee
- Revitalizing rural America