Title(s): Dean, Professor, Community and Behavioral Health, Director, Prevention Research Center for Rural Health, Professor, Public Policy Center, Office of the Vice President for Research
Department: Community and Behavioral Health
Office: S153A CPHB
Phone: (319) 384-1503
Dr. Edith Parker serves as Dean of the University of Iowa College of Public Health. She also directs the Prevention Research Center for Rural Health, based in the University of Iowa College of Public Health. She formerly served as Departmental Executive Officer of the University of Iowa Department of Community and Behavioral Health.
Dr. Parker’s research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and focuses on the design of community health promotion interventions that address social determinants of health and health disparities.
A nationally recognized expert on Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR), her work centers on engaging community members in the design, implementation, and evaluation of research interventions, and translating and disseminating research findings for program and policy change. She has consulted on community-academic partnerships in Alabama, California, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and Canada, and has published extensively on the use and evaluation of such partnerships.
Dr. Parker holds a bachelor’s degree from Davidson College, as well as Master of Public Health and Doctor of Public Health degrees from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. She served on the faculty of the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan before joining the University of Iowa in 2010.
- Intro to Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- The development, implementation, and evaluation of community-based participatory interventions to improve health status
- Global public health
- Environmental health interventions
- Community engagement and outreach
- Health equity
In the News
- Iowa leaders organize international workshop on environmental health science research translation
- Parker to present on community engaged research
- Parker comments on NIEHS Worker Training Program proposal
- Meet the Dean: Q&A with Edith Parker
- Edith Parker named new dean of College of Public Health
- Iowa researchers co-author CPCRN report on colorectal cancer screening interventions
- Video: CPH Faculty Feature with Edith Parker
- Facebook Live: Faculty Feature with Edith Parker Feb. 13
- UI to lead educational campaign about precision medicine
- Parker receives Board of Regents Award for Faculty Excellence
- Business Leadership Network seeks proposals for Community Grant Projects
- Parker to deliver CPH Distinguished Faculty Lecture Aug. 31
- CBH students, faculty, alumni discuss social and behavioral change on World Canvass
- PRC partners with Ottumwa to improve rural health
- CPH researchers part of UI initiatives that confront obesity
- Visiting Thai Professor Cherishes Her Iowa Connections