Since 2013, the Business Leadership Network has hosted community forums, taking College of Public Health faculty and students on the road to engage participants in public health related conversations that lead to new collaborations.
Forums draw a cross-section of business owners and managers, economic development leaders, public health officials and health care providers, local elected officials, a variety of agency and organization representatives, and the general public.
Check out this video and read summaries below of past events to learn more about the community forums.
Fall 2023 Community Forum
Wednesday, December 6, 2023
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
“Improving Employee and Family Health”
719 Ave H, Fort Madison, Iowa
Attendance is free and lunch will be provided.
Please REGISTER to attend.
The forum will feature panelists: Breanna Kramer-Riesberg, Lee County Health Department; Debra Payne, Great River Health; Kris Rankin, Lee County The Best You Coalition and Van Buren County SAFE Coalition; and Diane Rohlman, Healthier Workforce Center of the Midwest, UI College of Public Health. A question and answer session and small group discussion will follow the panel.
Topics will include:
- Resources for employers to help keep their employees and their families healthy and productive.
- Addressing mental health and substance use.
- Nutrition and physical activity programs.
Who should attend? Any area employer or community organization leader interested in having a healthy and productive workforce.
Please REGISTER to attend.
Summaries of Past Forum discussions
- 2023 Spring: Carroll
- 2022 Spring: Spencer
- 2021 Spring: Statewide webinar
- 2020 Fall: Clinton
- 2019 Fall: Muscatine
- 2019 Spring: Centerville
- 2018 Fall: Spirit Lake
- 2018 Spring: Oelwein (2018) and Sioux City
- 2017 Fall: Clarinda and Oelwein (2017)
- 2017 Spring: Ottumwa
- 2016 Fall: Mason City
- 2016 Spring: Osceola and Storm Lake
- 2015 Fall: Centerville and Webster City
- 2015 Spring: Carroll and Creston
- 2014 Fall: Charles City and Fairfield
- 2014 Spring: Algona and Honey Creek
- 2013 Fall: Webster City and Osceola
- 2013 Spring: Mason City and Ottumwa
Forum Topics have included:
- Aging Populations and the Workforce
- Agricultural Health and Safety
- Building a Healthy Community
- Community and Behavioral Health
- Community Health and Wellness
- Cyber-bullying in Schools and the Workplace
- Health Systems and Population Health
- Healthcare Policy and Impacts of Reform
- Immunizations as a Community Health Issue
- Local County Health Assessment
- Substance Use Issues in Community Health
- Sustaining the Health & Wellness of the Community
- Using Data – Know What Works
- Women’s Health Issues
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Youth and Adolescents
Learn more about the Business Leadership Network.